Engine whine - Desperately need help

EmpiricalApe

CarAudio.com Regular
I've posted about this topic a couple times already, but I have yet to find a solution. I installed an after market amplifier to power my mids and highs. I already have a sub amp that isn't having the same issues. My stereo is a JVC KW-M780BT. The amplifier powering the whine is a Infinity REF-3004A. I get slight buzz in my speakers with the engine off, and a complete whine that goes with rpms when the engine is on. I have tried running different RCAs in different locations, running power wire in different locations, I've tried different speakers, I've tried different ground points, I've tried grounding the stereo at the same point as the amplifier. I'm running crutchfield 8 gauge ofc power and grounds, and stinger 14 gauge ofc speaker wire, and crutchfield higher end 4 CH RCAs. I've started an exchange with crutchfield for the stereo, and tried the same model but different unit. I've put an inline noise filter on the stereo power wire, and I have a PAC SN1 2-CH Ground loop isolator for all 4 RCAs. I have all speakers but front right put in because I just haven't gotten to it if that may cause something somehow. I've connected my phone to the amp, still ran off of the cars power, and it was perfect audio...no buzz, no whine, no static. I greatly appreciate any help. I am at my wits end. Thank you.

I have tried grounding the rca jackets and there was 0 difference. I ran brand new stinger pro series 14 gauge wire for all.of the speakers.
Very odd problem. Do you have 1 or 2 of the ground loop isolators? Try disconnecting the speaker outputs one by one. For example disconnect the front right and if the whine is still present, reconnect and disconnect the front left.

Last edited:
Currently, I have the mids amp and the headunit temporarily grounded directly to the negative terminal on the battery. I also have an in-line noise filter on the stereo power wire. I also have a ground loop isolater on the rcas for my sub amp (that worked better than putting ground loop isolators on all 4 mid amp rcas). Having three ground loop iso on the sub rcas made the amp pull significantly less power. The whine seemed to actually get worse after grounding the amp and stereo to the battery. Any more ideas?
If the whine is worse grounding everything to the battery, then your vehicle isn't properly grounded. replace the battery to frame ground, as well as the engine and/or transmission ground to frame wires.

If the whine is worse grounding everything to the battery, then your vehicle isn't properly grounded. replace the battery to frame ground, as well as the engine and/or transmission ground to frame wires.
I really don't think it could be that, but I'll check it out. I have 0 gauge grounds to the factory ground locations, that are all still very clean. My engine block is grounded to the firewall my battery is grounded to the strut tower pretty much, I don't have an alternator ground yet, so I will be adding one monday..

I really don't think it could be that, but I'll check it out. I have 0 gauge grounds to the factory ground locations, that are all still very clean. My engine block is grounded to the firewall my battery is grounded to the strut tower pretty much, I don't have an alternator ground yet, so I will be adding one monday..
The alternator is grounded to the block.

The alternator is grounded to the block.
would it make any difference to add a 0 gauge ground from a bolt on the alt to the chassis? I'm posting this in 2 forums, and someone in another forum told me to make sure there's a solid alternator ground, so that the alternator doesn't cannibalize the other grounds, or something along those lines.

would it make any difference to add a 0 gauge ground from a bolt on the alt to the chassis? I'm posting this in 2 forums, and someone in another forum told me to make sure there's a solid alternator ground, so that the alternator doesn't cannibalize the other grounds, or something along those lines.
When you do the big 3, you should upgrade the block to chassis ground and the battery to chassis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...