Enclosure Suggestions for Two 18's.

Biggest thing here is make sure you have enough bracing. I'm currently running a single 18 @ 2500w on a 40x24 baffle, single layer, bolted to the 34"x20" oval trunk opening. Below about 35hz that baffle starts moving. Below 30hz, it's moving enough to be concerning. Any panel above 24x24 should be 1.5" thick or have internal bracing. Any panel over 30x30 should be 1.5" thick and have internal bracing.

My enclosure for the pair of 18's will be about 14 cubes net. It's a really odd shape and 4 of the sides are going to be against the car(rear, bottom, and the 2 large side panels). That leaves the top, the front, and the 2 smaller side panels. The top is going to be 2" thick, the front is going to be 1.5" thick, and the small side panels are going to be .75" thick since they arr only 22"x8". The other panels are going to be either bolted to the car or in the case of the large side panels, wedged between expanding foam and squished by the rear doors.

My subs have very low moving mass, only about 230g. I bet those Z subs are close to double that. That translates into alot of energy transfer into the panel in addition to the air pressure forces.

Matt

Once you start Frankensteining subs the TS specs will change from what is published. What it’s been rebuilt with will work tho in 7-7.5 cubes each. A ZV6 is a 4 layer spider so it’s pretty stiff and the surrounds on the larger rolls are also thick. Youll need those cubes if you want that low end.

Once you start Frankensteining subs the TS specs will change from what is published. What it’s been rebuilt with will work tho in 7-7.5 cubes each. A ZV6 is a 4 layer spider so it’s pretty stiff and the surrounds on the larger rolls are also thick. Youll need those cubes if you want that low end.

Don't believe published T/S specs. Do you really think that they broke in the sub before they calculated the specs.?

Don't believe published T/S specs. Do you really think that they broke in the sub before they calculated the specs.?

Even if they did break them, if you pulled them yourself I bet they are still way off 😂. All I need to know is the compliance of the spider and surround which I test myself when I build subs. I know what the combinations will give me with the parts I use and it has yet to fail me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...