Enclosure Suggestions for Two 18's.

Zeltergiest

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have two Zv4 18's freshly reconed and now I'm trying to do some research for the best possible enclosure that will suit my goals. In case it matters, Sundown tooled basket, NSV2 coil, Zv6 Spider. My main goal is to be able to play lows with authority and move as much air as possible. I've heard people say before tune low and a lot of port area but I need more specifics. Ideally, what would be the best tuning and how big of a box will the subs need to be efficient? I'm only considering a ported box design at the moment. If it's worth mentioning I'll be powering the subs with a Team Pie 7500.1 (Vital Power Clone)100ah Underground Power, 2 HO 300+ alts, all 0awg wiring throughout. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks! I'd like to achieve something similar to this.

Edit: I found this design online, would an enclosure like this be a good place to start?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
That enclosure is only giving you 5.25 cu.ft. net per sub. I don't think that will be enough for the 18's you have. They probably have quite a bit more VD than the sq subs the box was designed for. I'm betting your subs will probably want 6.5+ cubes each. You really need to pull TS parameters ....

That enclosure is only giving you 5.25 cu.ft. net per sub. I don't think that will be enough for the 18's you have. They probably have quite a bit more VD than the sq subs the box was designed for. I'm betting your subs will probably want 6.5+ cubes each. You really need to pull TS parameters ....
  • Fms: 27.4 Hz
  • Res: 135.5 Ohm
  • Qms: 5.39
  • Qes: 0.60
  • Qts: 0.54
  • Rms: 15.0 kg/s
  • Cms: 0.07 mm/N
  • Mms: 469.7 gr
  • Nref: 0.45 %
  • Bt: 22.1 N/A
  • SPL: 88.6 dB
  • VAS: 136.2 L
  • Rp: 33.7 Ohm
  • Lp: 35.4 mH
  • Cp: 1152.6 uF
  • Le: 2.29 mH
  • Recommended Ported Enclosure Size: 7.00 Ft^3
  • Recommended Tuning: 32 hz
  • Recommended Port Area: 112 in^2
The basics that Sundown Provides.

I would probably do 13-14 cubes net with a large square or slot port. Those subs are gonna probably move a ton of air and need more port than you’ll maybe want to try to fit with aeros. The box needs to be very strong, too, with how big each panel is going to be and the power levels you’re at. Idk how low you want to play, but usually something like 28-30 hz tuning plays pretty low while still being relatively balanced. Idk the t/s or recommendations on those, but you might need more like 14 cubes net with ~14-16in^2/cube of port area, if Sundown follows the model they’ve had for a while with their sub designs. You might just want to ask Sundown what they recommend or at least see how similar the zv6 is to the zv5.

I would probably do 13-14 cubes net with a large square or slot port. Those subs are gonna probably move a ton of air and need more port than you’ll maybe want to try to fit with aeros. The box needs to be very strong, too, with how big each panel is going to be and the power levels you’re at. Idk how low you want to play, but usually something like 28-30 hz tuning plays pretty low while still being relatively balanced. Idk the t/s or recommendations on those, but you might need more like 14 cubes net with ~14-16in^2/cube of port area, if Sundown follows the model they’ve had for a while with their sub designs. You might just want to ask Sundown what they recommend or at least see how similar the zv6 is to the zv5.
THIS is a HUGE help. It's a good starting point of reference. Any Ideas when/if you'll be designing boxes again? Thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated!

This is one beautiful subwoofer. The recommended 7 cubes tuned to 32 HZ per sub from sundown would definitely be adequate. If these were my subs, and I had around 18 cubes of space to use, I’d do 7.25 cubes per sub tuned to 30 HZ with 16-18 sq. Inches of port per cube. Brace it as if its a bomb shelter and give it a triple baffle. Maybe even consider using 1 - 1.25 inch thick walls all the way around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...