Electrical upgrades questions

Participant count
  • Participant list
If I cant mess with the alt for now (pretty damn hard job)would adding one extra battery and maybe a big 3 if I can get it done be good enough to run a taramps smart 3 or would it pull to much from the alt and cause problems. I want to get the smart 3 but I don’t know if my alr can handle it
Going to cause issues even with an extra battery. Not only that a large extra battery isn't going to be much cheaper than an aftermarket alt anyways so it's moot.

Most stock alts aren't rated for much higher than what the car needs to run. That's why on alot of cars you'll actually see voltage drop on as little as 700 watts.

The battery acts as a buffer when your pulling more than what your cars alt can create but if you start trying to pull signficantly more power than what it can handle then the battery isn't going to magically make up the difference (your voltage will tank).

If I cant mess with the alt for now (pretty damn hard job)
Pay someone to install it then. You can't aim at running higher end wattage and then half ass the electrical

Going to cause issues even with an extra battery. Not only that a large extra battery isn't going to be much cheaper than an aftermarket alt anyways so it's moot.

Most stock alts aren't rated for much higher than what the car needs to run. That's why on alot of cars you'll actually see voltage drop on as little as 700 watts.

The battery acts as a buffer when your pulling more than what your cars alt can create but if you start trying to pull signficantly more power than what it can handle then the battery isn't going to magically make up the difference (your voltage will tank).

Pay someone to install it then. You can't aim at running higher end wattage and then half *** the electrical
While most of this is true, I've run my 2000 watt, and my 12000 watt system with the vehicle off for a full song or two when I show people when I dont want to stink up the garage with exhaust. The little system is just a yellow top and the big one has 4 xs power Batts.
Sure you'll get louder with those couple extra volts but you can't usually hear a difference.
Don't some people compete with vehicle off and then charge between runs?

Pay someone to install it then. You can't aim at running higher end wattage and then half *** the electrical
Okay I should be able to upgrade electrical down the road but can’t do the alt anytime soon it’d be about 800 to 1k from Toyota and probably not to much less form anywhere else.If I don’t have anything done right now electrical wise can I still buy this amp and atleast play up to what my system can handle with the gain set correct?or is having this big of a amp going to cause problems , I current have no system so I’d like to get it going as soon as possible

Okay I should be able to upgrade electrical down the road but can’t do the alt anytime soon it’d be about 800 to 1k from Toyota and probably not to much less form anywhere else.If I don’t have anything done right now electrical wise can I still buy this amp and atleast play up to what my system can handle with the gain set correct?or is having this big of a amp going to cause problems , I current have no system so I’d like to get it going as soon as possible
So you think just one extra battery would be bad? I’ve seen many dual battery setups on the tundra but I never think i saw any of those ppl upgrade alt with it

It's primarily the difference between how full and half bridge are built. Full bridge can be waayy more compact and still do rated power. But if anything got a little wonky I guess I'd trust the huge amp to endure more torture. Not 100% sure, I can't speak factually since I don't own either one of these
[/QUOTE
So I’d be fine with the taramps as long as I set they gain right?

While most of this is true, I've run my 2000 watt, and my 12000 watt system with the vehicle off for a full song or two when I show people when I dont want to stink up the garage with exhaust. The little system is just a yellow top and the big one has 4 xs power Batts.
Sure you'll get louder with those couple extra volts but you can't usually hear a difference.
So I’ll only have a problem with my amp if I set the gains to high correct?

Love my Cab-22 would go that one over the Taramps all day long and man are they clean sounding as well. Would be worth it imho. Love mine so much that when I get the money for a Cab-45 sometime next year I am going to that to replace the SIA 3.5K I have in there now.

Love my Cab-22 would go that one over the Taramps all day long and man are they clean sounding as well. Would be worth it imho. Love mine so much that when I get the money for a Cab-45 sometime next year I am going to that to replace the SIA 3.5K I have in there now.
Okay thanks I’ll def look at the cab 22 , how well do you think it will pair with 2 xfl 10” and what do you think about the xfl 10”s?

Last edited:
I’d also like to know your reasoning in why you think I’d better I better choice if you don’t mind because I have heard a lot of good things about them

I’d also like to know your reasoning in why you think I’d better I better choice if you don’t mind because I have heard a lot of good things about them
Also if I went with the taramps it would be getting pushed pretty damn easy since I have no eletrical upgrades so I couldn’t overpower it to much vs something smaller

Okay I should be able to upgrade electrical down the road but can’t do the alt anytime soon it’d be about 800 to 1k from Toyota and probably not to much less form anywhere else.
That sounds way too high price wise. Mechman sells the 240amp 2008 Tundra alternator (4.0L or 4.7L) for $420 and then it's maybe an hour to hour and a half labor to install it. Singer alternators would probably be same price range but possibly higher amperage
So you think just one extra battery would be bad? I’ve seen many dual battery setups on the tundra but I never think i saw any of those ppl upgrade alt with it
I wouldn't do it.

I see so many people spend $300-500 in adding an extra battery (large AGM or lithium battery + battery isolator + charger) and for basically the same price you can just buy an aftermarket alternator that will actually CREATE the power you want instead of just adding a band aid to it
No there's a huge difference. I remember years ago swapping my 750 watt soundqubed korean amp (nothing fancy, think the fuse rating was only like 75 or 80 amps) between 3 different cars, all of which similiar stock alts to the topic creators (Chevy Cruze, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima) and every single one of them saw rapid voltage drop. The Altima even had a Northstar AGM battery under the hood as well.

It's not physically possible to create the power he's wanting on 50 or 60 avaliable amps. The battery route will be more expensive and more work then just buying an aftermarket alt

That sounds way too high price wise. Mechman sells the 240amp 2008 Tundra alternator (4.0L or 4.7L) for $420 and then it's maybe an hour to hour and a half labor to install it. Singer alternators would probably be same price range but possibly higher amperage
I wouldn't do it.

I see so many people spend $300-500 in adding an extra battery (large AGM or lithium battery + battery isolator + charger) and for basically the same price you can just buy an aftermarket alternator that will actually CREATE the power you want instead of just adding a band aid to it
No there's a huge difference. I remember years ago swapping my 750 watt soundqubed korean amp (nothing fancy, think the fuse rating was only like 75 or 80 amps) between 3 different cars, all of which similiar stock alts to the topic creators (Chevy Cruze, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima) and every single one of them saw rapid voltage drop. The Altima even had a Northstar AGM battery under the hood as well.

It's not physically possible to create the power he's wanting on 50 or 60 avaliable amps. The battery route will be more expensive and more work then just buying an aftermarket alt
I mean I'd go h.o. when you can. Sounds like op might want a shop to do it.
I've got a 1700 in my daily ATM and a mechman 400 on the way.
I'm doing 135.3 db at 35 hz and 133.4db with vehicle off. I'll post what numbers I get with the new alt. Not sure when I'll get it but the biggest benefit will be bypassing that sensor that tells my alt when to turn on

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it.

Preciate the advice man , what you think about my amp situation, looking at cab22 vs taramps smart 3. And the reason the price is so high on the alt is because of the tundra it’s unreasonably hard to get to and you have to remove many other components to get it out which seems to make it a pretty lengthy process

Preciate the advice man , what you think about my amp situation, looking at cab22 vs taramps smart 3. And the reason the price is so high on the alt is because of the tundra it’s unreasonably hard to get to and you have to remove many other components to get it out which seems to make it a pretty lengthy process
Keep in mind good alts should last the lifetime of the vehicle or close to it. Batteries have a handful of years.

The Cab-22 is a beast of an amplifier. The ratings are good for a reason. People have pushed them to 0.5 ohm with no issues but you must have electrical for that. Overall they are just a great amplifier for the money vs others. They sound very clean as well compared to my SIA 3.5K. The only complaint I have about them is that you must buy a warranty for it as otherwise it comes with a 90 day warranty unless your card gives you a 2 year warranty on anything you buy like mine does. I can't see any other faults about them. Plus you can strap them as well for an extra amplifier but you need 500 amps of electrical to do it.

Definitely need the big 3 for it and at least a 240 amp HO alternator as well for it to truly show its power. Taramps I am just not a fan of anymore.

Contact apex audio/car audio bargain via email they respond very quickly with any questions you will have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...