Electrical questions

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jeremy11

Need help understanding a few things. I have determined that having enough/ correct voltage will give you all of the wattage/output that an amp has. But would not enough power affect sound quality or just not allow maximum volume? If you had a vehicle with stock electrical vs one with an extra battery or ho alt, would the upgraded vehicle be louder, sound better or both if everything else was identical?

Need help understanding a few things. I have determined that having enough/ correct voltage will give you all of the wattage/output that an amp has. But would not enough power affect sound quality or just not allow maximum volume? If you had a vehicle with stock electrical vs one with an extra battery or ho alt, would the upgraded vehicle be louder, sound better or both if everything else was identical?

Not enough power will fry your amp. I had a soundcubed amp that had visible smoke coming out from underpowering it.

box rise refers to the impedance of the sub due to the inherent nature of operation at various frequencies in a particular box.
If you have a 2 ohm sub the actual impedance as "seen" by the amp will rarely, if ever be 2 ohms.
I pulled up an impedance plot for an RF P3 at 2 ohms -- in an average size sealed box it peaks at 14.5 ohms at 42 hz, and is above 4 ohms from ~25-55hz.
Ported runs a little lower, but is only close to 2 ohms at 30 and 70 hz.

Cabin gain refers to the fact that lower frequencies are louder in a car than higher frequencies. It has to do with the relatively small space vs relatively long wavelengths of low frequency sounds.

I dont have time to explain impedance rise and cabin gain aka transfer function but these links explain them quite well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.