Easiest way to make a Speaker hole

bobhope
10+ year member

mi
ok I need to make some cutouts on a peice of mdf ~14" (i want it to be tight so probably a bit smaller) anyways..... Whats the easiest/cheapest way to cut a circle? I'm thinking jig saw? Maybe there is some place I can take it to have the holes cut, that won't cost too much? ( i dont have it put together yet....) any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, but it looks like i'm going to have to fork 30 bucks to buy a jigsaw (****it im cheap) anyways.......

What kind of tools do you have access to ? Maybe we can come up with a way using tools you have access to. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hmmmm not much my mom has a dremmel..... my brother has a circular saw... i was thinking i might be able to use the dremmel but the bits aren't that long for it so i doubt i'd be able to cut 3/4" mdf....

The dremmel sells cross cutting drill bits made for this kinds stuff. go to any hardware store that sells dremmel, wizzard, rotozip.... and they will have them. just make sure your buying the ones made for wood and not ceramic, cement....

You can do it with a dremel. But you must take it very slow and steady. Let the bit do the work. Then go back with some sandpaper and clean up the edges. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

P.S. Dremel also sells a circle cutting tool. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a $20 jig saw. I didn't care if it only lasted a little while, I only needed to 2 holes. To my suprise, 1 1/2 years later, It still works fine. Worth the $20.

i'm making 2 boxes for my 6x9's. i have all the wood cut, all except for the hole for the speakers. i have a jigsaw, but i have no idea how i'm going to know where to cut. i need to make like an outline of the back of it, but i can't for obvious reasons(theres a magnet in the way). any ideas on making an easy outline, or maybe will my local car audio place have one?

Originally posted by Moocow16 i'm making 2 boxes for my 6x9's. i have all the wood cut, all except for the hole for the speakers. i have a jigsaw, but i have no idea how i'm going to know where to cut. i need to make like an outline of the back of it, but i can't for obvious reasons(theres a magnet in the way). any ideas on making an easy outline, or maybe will my local car audio place have one?
i would trace the outline of the speaker onto the wood, then measure the distance of the mounting surface and trace out a rough outline of the mounting hole. get what i mean? if it doesnt fit, some sandpaper will make it fit

buy a jig saw, and an extra cutting blade...... clean it after usin and return..... (not including the spare blade..... or you can just say its not strong enough or soemthing....

and you can trace a cutout in cardboard or something to the size of the mounting diameter.... then just trace around it....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.