Dumb Sub Question?

Except they're probably 5-6 months out from being able to deliver an order and AFAIK some of the big players are switching to Chinese coils just because PE can't keep up with demand.

id rather not build then use Chinese coils but that’s just me. The wait for PE is worth it IMO.

You're not going to be losing a million dollars in sales over it either so there's that.

you got that right lol. I’d have to build and sell over 1000 subs a month to make that kind of money. That I can promise will never happen! I’m also willing to promise you that any brand that is building their entire line by hand isn’t at risk of losing that kind of money either. The ones moving that much product are already having everything or most of their line built in China lol. Getting stuff from China isn’t exactly quick either. The shipping container cost currently is also insane now.

I'll take Sundown over American Bass any day.

Depends on the budget. If money is no object, of course you would. Pricing a 1,500 rms AB compared to a 1,500 rms Sundown is a big difference. You could buy two 1,500 rms AB subs for the cost of one Sundown. I would rather run Deaf Bonce or Fi over both of them. I'd actually like to get some DD's or B2's eventually.

I don't think you can compare American Bass to Sundown. Of the 14 or so lines that American Bass sells 9 or 10 of them are less than $200. The E series by sundown is literally the only non-shallow sub $200 sub they make (Sundown and American Bass are targeting 2 different types of buyers).

Completely different markets. American Bass's target is the sub $200 range (same with brands like CT Sound and Skar). American Bass of course has a longer history, more revisions, and more R&D compared to those other 2 brands so there often the more "safe" choice.

The actual "made in USA" tag is pretty rare for subwoofers. MMATS entire sub catalog above 200 dollars and the 1500 and up series from Digital Designs are the only 2 semi popular companies I know of that have it. It's usually "made in china", "assembled in usa" (all chinese parts but put together here), or "built in USA" (assembled here with a mixture of domestic and non-domestic parts).

I don't think you can compare American Bass to Sundown. Of the 14 or so lines that American Bass sells 9 or 10 of them are less than $200. The E series by sundown is literally the only non-shallow sub $200 sub they make (Sundown and American Bass are targeting 2 different types of buyers).

Completely different markets. American Bass's target is the sub $200 range (same with brands like CT Sound and Skar). American Bass of course has a longer history, more revisions, and more R&D compared to those other 2 brands so there often the more "safe" choice.

The actual "made in USA" tag is pretty rare for subwoofers. MMATS entire sub catalog above 200 dollars and the 1500 and up series from Digital Designs are the only 2 semi popular companies I know of that have it. It's usually "made in china", "assembled in usa" (all chinese parts but put together here), or "built in USA" (assembled here with a mixture of domestic and non-domestic parts).

But you can still get at least twice as much cone area with AB over Sundown if you spent the same amount of money. Then, you would have to recone your Sundown just like everybody else seems to be doing. AB has won plenty of sound competitions and set many World records. You can **** on them all you want. You can get other Sundown subs for under $200. And if they weren't overpriced then you would be able to get even more of them. You give me $5K and AB and I will give you $5K and Sundown and my AB will win on the meter. Just sayin.

And I run AB products so don’t come with the I’m bashing….I’m just curious cause I’ve been competing for a while and haven’t seen any big AB builds

And I run AB products so don’t come with the I’m bashing….I’m just curious cause I’ve been competing for a while and haven’t seen any big AB builds
View attachment 34314

I said $5K builds of each brand. The AB build would be louder. Do you think I'm wrong? I'm not talking unlimited funds builds. My friend was just doing over 160 with 4-HD15's. I'm running VFL subs on a Sundown amp. My mids/highs are on an AB amp.

When was the last time someone running AB has won a sound championship?
I wouldn't be shocked if it's been awhile, they shift farther away from competition as the years go on. AB the last 10 years and last 2 subwoofer revisions on most lines have geared more towards daily parameters (lower distortion, lower tuning, easier to get a flat response curve) vs before where it was peaky curve get the highest SPL number as possible.

Even there amps aren't competition anymore. The Korean .5ohm VFL amps are now 1ohm only and made in China

Same thing happened to soundqubed subs, there last revision was heavily geared towards more daily run setups and there best selling amps now are the higher ohm chinese variants instead of the competition Korean Q series

Last edited:
It would of had to of been a long time ago. AB the last 10 years and last 2 subwoofer revisions on most lines have geared more towards daily parameters (lower distortion, lower tuning, easier to get a flat response curve) vs before where it was peaky curve get the highest SPL number as possible

Same thing happened to soundqubed, there last revision was heavily geared towards more daily run setups
I noticed that…some of the older AB subs were practically just rebadged Soundqubed subs

It would of had to of been a long time ago. AB the last 10 years and last 2 subwoofer revisions on most lines have geared more towards daily parameters (lower distortion, lower tuning, easier to get a flat response curve) vs before where it was peaky curve get the highest SPL number as possible

Same thing happened to soundqubed, there last revision was heavily geared towards more daily run setups

Really?

Screenshot_20211206-201738_Chrome.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...