Dumb Sub Question?

I know a good amount of them and those I know it’s word of mouth that reach the others. It’s not cause it’s affordable as many run either American bass, massive audio (pretty dang similar to AB if not the same), skar, sundowns, custom built by myself, JL audio, or these stupid B&C pro audio drivers lol. American bass around here isn’t significantly used more compared to the others. There are so many China built subs like American bass anyone who can afford AB can easily just buy the others as well.

I've run a lot of American Bass subs and have yet to blow one. I've been running them for over ten years. Almost every sub on the market is Chinese. That's why you see stamps on "so called" American subs that say assembled in the USA. Fi, Sundown, and even DD subs have Chinese parts on their subs. Let's not be naive.

I've run a lot of American Bass subs and have yet to blow one. I've been running them for over ten years. Almost every sub on the market is Chinese. That's why you see stamps on "so called" American subs that say assembled in the USA. Fi, Sundown, and even DD subs have Chinese parts on their subs. Let's not be naive.

the coils from China are junk. frames, magnets, and even cones can be of good quality. Spiders it can be a toss up. The build quality, it’s a big difference vs China and here. The other issue is many of the subs built overseas the specs are highly inflated. Power handling, TS specs, xmax, even the voice coil sizes can be wrong. Ive taken tons of subs apart and have verified this by just measuring the winding widths the xmax figures are way off. Ive measured coil diameters and saw those off as well. Most recent a Dayton max X doesn’t use a 2.5” coil like stated, it’s actually a 2.38” coil. Now is there anything wrong with buying a sub made in China? Not at all, especially if you are on a budget but I can tell you that the mark up being paid is insane. You can literally buy American bass subs unbranded from China yourself. If you know where to look and don’t mind it not saying the name on it, you can do it and save money. Here is an example.

Attachments

• C65E8B2B-9EAD-455B-8E58-2B5F6F116152.jpeg
    C65E8B2B-9EAD-455B-8E58-2B5F6F116152.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 27
the coils from China are junk. frames, magnets, and even cones can be of good quality. Spiders it can be a toss up. The build quality, it’s a big difference vs China and here. The other issue is many of the subs built overseas the specs are highly inflated. Power handling, TS specs, xmax, even the voice coil sizes can be wrong. Ive taken tons of subs apart and have verified this by just measuring the winding widths the xmax figures are way off. Ive measured coil diameters and saw those off as well. Most recent a Dayton max X doesn’t use a 2.5” coil like stated, it’s actually a 2.38” coil. Now is there anything wrong with buying a sub made in China? Not at all, especially if you are on a budget but I can tell you that the mark up being paid is insane. You can literally buy American bass subs unbranded from China yourself. If you know where to look and don’t mind it not saying the name on it, you can do it and save money. Here is an example.

I have no problem buying a Chinese sub. I just can't stand when people **** on AB and try to claim that their Fi, Sundown, or DD sub is an all American sub. Their subs are more like Chinese parts with American coils and assembled in the USA. Even some of the Sundown and DD subs are completely Chinese. The hypocrisy cracks me up.

I have no problem buying a Chinese sub. I just can't stand when people **** on AB and try to claim that their Fi, Sundown, or DD sub is an all American sub. Their subs are more like Chinese parts with American coils and assembled in the USA. Even some of the Sundown and DD subs are completely Chinese. The hypocrisy cracks me up.

almost all of the lower lines in those companies are fully made in china. Heck even some of the midrange line is too. It’s mind blowing how cheap they do it for in China. If there is anything I’ve learned in car audio and I’ve been around since 1998, it’s brand bias will always exist. Bandwagons and new boners for certain things will keep on happening just like they did way back then. What’s hot now may be considered junk in a few years lol. I still to this day buy stuff just to try it out. Then I’ll blow it up, take it apart and see if it can be made better, recone it, sell it and that will hold me over for a little while lol.

almost all of the lower lines in those companies are fully made in china. Heck even some of the midrange line is too. It’s mind blowing how cheap they do it for in China. If there is anything I’ve learned in car audio and I’ve been around since 1998, it’s brand bias will always exist. Bandwagons and new boners for certain things will keep on happening just like they did way back then. What’s hot now may be considered junk in a few years lol. I still to this day buy stuff just to try it out. Then I’ll blow it up, take it apart and see if it can be made better, recone it, sell it and that will hold me over for a little while lol.

I hear ya man. I had my first "real" system installed in 1989. All Rockford, Nakamichi, and Sony. The Rockford Pro Series 12's were $380 a piece and were dual 8 ohm so I could run the Nakamichi PA-400M @ 2 ohms (220 watts per sub). $1 per watt was normal back then. My Sony AM/FM/CD player (skipped) was $550. The system cost me $4,500 in 89'. It was in a 89' Ford Probe and it hit hard. Glory days!

I hear ya man. I had my first "real" system installed in 1989. All Rockford, Nakamichi, and Sony. The Rockford Pro Series 12's were $380 a piece and were dual 8 ohm so I could run the Nakamichi PA-400M @ 2 ohms (220 watts per sub). $1 per watt was normal back then. My Sony AM/FM/CD player (skipped) was $550. The system cost me $4,500 in 89'. It was in a 89' Ford Probe and it hit hard. Glory days!

a $1 a watt, remember when we payed a $1 or more a watt and didn’t give two ishes about it as long as it was quality? The budget bargain hunters ruined that lol. That’s when USA amp makers started vanishing like farts in the wind! I must say tho the Chinese and South Koreans have come a mighty long way building amps!

a $1 a watt, remember when we payed a $1 or more a watt and didn’t give two ishes about it as long as it was quality? The budget bargain hunters ruined that lol. That’s when USA amp makers started vanishing like farts in the wind! I must say tho the Chinese and South Koreans have come a mighty long way building amps!

These were the **** when I was around 17 years old.

Screenshot_20211218-223813_Facebook.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...