DSP talk

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
I see there are many threads talking about DSP a bit here and there but i can't find any threads that fully walk around the subject.

I would like to hear about your experiences and what you recommend.

what would be best for a beginner tuner like i'm going to be. Always been loving sound, always had basic systems with amped coaxials and driven from cheap HU without any tuning. But now i wanna step my game up.

I'm a self-educated type of guy who learn fast, read a lot about subjects and end-up doing everything myself.

Youtube and different forums have always been a real Bible to me so i'm relying on you guys to guide me to the right direction in term of DSP.

I'm playing with Helix DSP software since yesterday and it's pretty easy to use. Is Helix a good choice ? Is there any other better than that but still in that price range. I'm not ready to pay like 2000$ for a processor

please help me out ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I see there are many threads talking about DSP a bit here and there but i can't find any threads that fully walk around the subject.
I would like to hear about your experiences and what you recommend.

what would be best for a beginner tuner like i'm going to be. Always been loving sound, always had basic systems with amped coaxials and driven from cheap HU without any tuning. But now i wanna step my game up.

I'm a self-educated type of guy who learn fast, read a lot about subjects and end-up doing everything myself.

Youtube and different forums have always been a real Bible to me so i'm relying on you guys to guide me to the right direction in term of DSP.

I'm playing with Helix DSP software since yesterday and it's pretty easy to use. Is Helix a good choice ? Is there any other better than that but still in that price range. I'm not ready to pay like 2000$ for a processor

please help me out ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
I kinda posted what you need to do to start off in this thread.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/advanced-sql-spl-discussion/628431-how-set-time-alignment-kenwood-dnx773bh.html

If you go on DIYMA there is a thread for every DSP on the market. Plenty of experiences both good and bad.
Well, i went to DIYMA.com and it says it is a freaking Trojan Horse ?!

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Yeah, went through it already, precious infos there, thanks !

Well, i went to DIYMA.com and it says it is a freaking Trojan Horse ?! 

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Yeah, went through it already, precious infos there, thanks !
its an acronym

Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Some advice for internet surfing.

NEVER enter the URL to your search bar.

Search whatever the website is in google first then choose the site that looks the most legit and close to what you are searching for.

its an acronymCar Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

Some advice for internet surfing.

NEVER enter the URL to your search bar.

Search whatever the website is in google first then choose the site that looks the most legit and close to what you are searching for.
ahah ! Ok thanks, i'm kinda feeling dumb right now ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The Helix DSP is solid although it appears they are coming out with a 2nd version of it sometime in the near future.

I personally would've gone with Helix with my current build if I hadn't find such a great deal on a Fosgate 3sixty.3

Many current head units offered watered down versions of processing, but a DSP gives you the power and ability to really dial it in compared to most head units. Also if you're stuck on using stock head units it's really the best way to tailor the sound to your liking.

As far as in depth discussions about DSP that's a difficult topic to cover succinctly. You have a lot more going into an install than just DSP settings. The DSP settings are actually dependent on your unique setup and even then they can't fix a lacking install.

Jeff did cover a good intro in that thread.

Topics I would look into would be the following:

Driver Placement

Sound Deadening

Specs to look at when deciding on drivers for your install

Time Alignment

RTA-ing/Measuring your current system

General tuning techniques

Someone could easily write a small book on the topic, but really if you're just looking into incorporating a DSP into your current setup Jeff wrote a decent starting point. You can come back with more specific questions that make it easier for people to answer than trying to cover "all the things" in one go. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

If your not ready for a dsp get an active hu like the pioneer 80prs. It has lots of adjustable crossovers time alignment and eq possibilities. Its price on ebay new is around 235-250shipped I bought a used one for $185 so they don't loose value much when you decide to get really into it. The Rockford 360.3 is an amazing unit but can be a little to much for some people. Helix is a great brand that deals with Rockford now. Start reading and looking on parts express and madisound for raw drivers. Look into proper door treatments they have some of the biggest effects in sound.

I have tried a few of the lower end DSPs trying to find a cost efficient solution....

My findings are what you would expect for the most part... "you get what you pay for"

I have had the Soundstream Harmony and PPI DSP.88R and while they worked ok and had pretty good, easy to use interfaces with great selection of crossover and EQ settings, both introduced unwanted noise into the system. I tried multiple fixes, but never got either to be totally clean...

Ive used the Fosgate 360.2 and 360.3, both where very nice and worked very well. Of note, the 360.2 did have some bluetooth connectivity problem.

Two sub $300 DSPs, that I have used/am currently using, that are of excellent quality and functionality are the minidsp C-DSP 6x8 and the JFA Electronics DX5.

The C-DSP 6x8 is an excellent feature filled unit, that I would put somewhere between the 360.2 and the 360.3. Has the full range of crossover and EQ settings and easy to understand user interface. I had used minidsp's products before in home theater applications, so I had to try out their car audio product when it came out. That C-DSP is in one of my buddies cars and he loves it just as much as I did...

The JFA DX5 I decided to try out when my needs outgrew 8-channels of output. It is priced around $350 w/ the bluetooth adapter, around $250 without, and can be easily setup on the front panel display, or on an Android phone/tablet with the bluetooth. It has 4 channel input (full range and sub) with 10 channel output. I use it to crossover my tweeters HP, 4" fullranges BP, 6.5" door/kicks BP, 8" midbass BP and subs LP. All settings are available for any channel, making it very configurable. The EQ lacks in bands, but the band frequency is selectable making it usable in any configuration. A DX3 is also available if you dont need all those outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think ill go for Helix.

Can I turn up the volume directly on the HU or the DSP de-eq only at a set level ?

i'd like to get only the 2-fonction remote control, i don't want to fit the director unit in....is that good enough ? i'd set the remote to control the sub level and master level.

I see that the Helix has 8 output and the Helix Pro has 10, is there any other differences between those two models ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.