Dsp q factor setting

Bhay71

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hey i have a dsp and im curious i know very little about q factor.i have a sundown u15 on 1700 watts rms.
What should i set qfactor at say 20-100 hz.i have it at 1 right now but i dont have a clue where it should be set.i had it at .74 but sounded like floppy butthole.
Any experienced users got a number where i should prob set it at to help me out alittle.thanks

Any experienced users got a number where i should prob set it at to help me out alittle.thanks
From what I understand, Q factor is a frequency booster/attenuator. Q Factor has 3 settings, Center, Width, Boost. When you set the Center at a frequency, that frequency will be boosted/attenuated. The Width is how far you want that boost to affect the lower AND higher frequecies, away from that Center point. Boost is self explanatory.
As to what setting to use, I would suggest setting the Boost to Zero. This should be the equivalent of being in the "off" position. See how the sub sounds without the help of the Q factor.

:rolleyes:.....Q factor is how much the surrounding frequencies are affected

Last edited:
So......what are you confused about, if you are wondering where to set the Q at that is a personal tuning preference. Nobody can sit and listen to your system on a forum....if you dont have a mic and rta program its going to be even more difficult to know how it is influencing the sound

Last edited:
This is factory default settings for the q
View attachment 43980
It looks like 4.32 is the factory Q setting. If you are finding that when boosting in the 100hz range for the subwoofer is making your midbass speakers have too much bass, lower the Q at 100hz to 4.00, if it still is too much, 3.50 and so on until it isn't affecting the midbass so much. Does this make sense how it can be used?

Midbass and sub should be on different channels (if setup properly)....so midbass adjustments should not influence sub and vice versa.....just sayin

Midbass and sub should be on different channels (if setup properly)....so midbass adjustments should not influence sub and vice versa.....just sayin
If the sub is crossed over @ 100hz and the midbass is crossed over @ 100hz then on the EQ a wide Q will cover both drivers as it sits in the center of the crossover points for both driver types. Unless you use separate EQ's for each driver.

Yes with exact crossover points its possible.....but without a mic and rta to be able to observe your frequency plot how does one know exactly where your crossover point is? Just because it is electronically set at 100 doesnt mean that is the actual crossover point.....while tuning with my mic, i have observed many times a slope of LR 24db look more like a 12db slope on RTA...so its all a guessing game without a mic, unless you got them golden ears

Yes with exact crossover points its possible.....but without a mic and rta to be able to observe your frequency plot how does one know exactly where your crossover point is? Just because it is electronically set at 100 doesnt mean that is the actual crossover point.....while tuning with my mic, i have observed many times a slope of LR 24db look more like a 12db slope on RTA...so its all a guessing game without a mic, unless you got them golden ears
I use a mic too... it is easier.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...