Dropping idle voltage?

Participant count
  • Participant list

hatedonmostly
5,000+ posts

throwin' hunnits, hunnits
Detroit, MI
During the winter I used to sit at 14.3-4. Summer came around and it dropped to 13.8-9, I figured this was normal. But recently I dropped to 13.5, and it's not even getting warmer out. My voltage drop is awful now and I'm clipping like hell.

What do?

I have a 90A alt, big three done and two 20ah batts in the rear. Setup in sig if that helps any...

A/C doesn't work...I always have the windows down.

AQ1200D @ 1 ohm, gains set conservative since I only have 700W RMS of subs.

Then a front stage amp that is outputting around 100-150 x 2

maybe your alt is dying. take it to the parts store and they can check it out for you.
This.

This is why I always tell people, just because your not getting huge voltage dips doesn't mean your electrical is fine. Big battery banks and big draws shorten the life of your alternator considerably. I wouldn't even worry about testing it, I would just upgrade it. 90A isn't enough to run that much power.

maybe your alt is dying. take it to the parts store and they can check it out for you.
thats what i was thinking...

what kind of car?

hey by the way,i found the manual for that next amp.pm me your addy and i'll send it to you.

sometimes i feel a little iffy about h/o alts. i looked into it a while ago, and for my truck (chevy 1500 silerado v6) i was thinkin about goin with mechman, a 260amp alt.

but i feel like they would burn up just as fast. and id rather spend 150 and get a lifetime on stock, rather then 400 and only a year warranty.

please tell me im wrong lol

This.
This is why I always tell people, just because your not getting huge voltage dips doesn't mean your electrical is fine. Big battery banks and big draws shorten the life of your alternator considerably. I wouldn't even worry about testing it, I would just upgrade it. 90A isn't enough to run that much power.
I'm not talking about dips, I'm talking about idle voltage...

I have another alt but I just wanted to be sure; you know, see if anyone has had something like this happen to them as well. I had it tested when the idle voltage dropped to 13.8-9, but it tested fine. Haven't tested it recently, however.

The alt I bought is a 136A stocker from one of these trucks with the towing package. It should do alright, well, at least for $50 invested.

thats what i was thinking...what kind of car?

hey by the way,i found the manual for that next amp.pm me your addy and i'll send it to you.
1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9L

And that's awesome, because this amp is super confusing to use, lol. Maybe it'll help shed light on some things, although I already have it set up.

I'm not talking about dips, I'm talking about idle voltage...
I have another alt but I just wanted to be sure; you know, see if anyone has had something like this happen to them as well. I had it tested when the idle voltage dropped to 13.8-9, but it tested fine. Haven't tested it recently, however.

The alt I bought is a 136A stocker from one of these trucks with the towing package. It should do alright, well, at least for $50 invested.
My comments were referring to a generic case, not yours specifically.

you know... 13.9? your fine.nothings wrong.
I knew I was fine at 13.9, but now I've dropped another half volt, and the weather hasn't changed at all. It's actually getting cooler here in MI, so technically I should be seeing better voltage...

Right now I'm getting 13.4-5v.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.