Downgrade wire or change box design?

I could use some FL weather right now (been cold, and still is)....oh and I saw some FL license plates within the last few days.

I agree, sounded like a good idea until i thought about it. Im just gonna buy some 10GA. I onyl spent like $20on the 8GA so its no big deal
Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
It'll work. Question is how well, If you can't hear any flaws you're good to go!

John Kuthe...

I could use some FL weather right now (been cold, and still is)....oh and I saw some FL license plates within the last few days.
Washington can use any another weather other than Washington weather 11 out of the 12 months *so I hear* baahhaaha

Washington can use any another weather other than Washington weather 11 out of the 12 months *so I hear* baahhaaha
I'm oringally from AZ so I'll gladly take the hot weather over cold any day. I'm sure some people that are hating the heat can use the cold weather. Ironoically, I had a friend just move to Phoenix.

Have to agree on this one, Cutting back wire to make it fit undersized connections is like and IS introducing an artificial bottleneck! A little one but could become significant. A bigger conductor is always a good thing.
John Kuthe...
Jonny the self proclaimed engineer...you of all peopleshould already have been able to calculate, in your head of course, to what degree of insignificance trimming back a few stands of wire truly makes.

Oh I'm sorry you don't like my comment. But it's the truth and trimming copper wire shouldn't be necessary. Is he gonna say the same thing when it comes time for someone to install wiring for amps to batteries? I certainly hope not.
Insults come and go, obviously, and are often well deserved. What I don't like people getting bad information. Insulting someone for a scientifically valid point can only be attributed to unbridled arrogance and/or stupidity.

Ideally, everything would fit the way it's supposed to. It didn't. A little shave of the 8 awg would be fine. Measurably better than running back to 10 awg.

Would I suggest it for power wire? No. But it would be equally effective and clearly a better option than reducing the wire size over several feet vs a fraction of an inch.

Jonny the self proclaimed engineer...you of all peopleshould already have been able to calculate, in your head of course, to what degree of insignificance trimming back a few stands of wire truly makes.

Insults come and go, obviously, and are often well deserved. What I don't like people getting bad information. Insulting someone for a scientifically valid point can only be attributed to unbridled arrogance and/or stupidity.

Ideally, everything would fit the way it's supposed to. It didn't. A little shave of the 8 awg would be fine. Measurably better than running back to 10 awg.

Would I suggest it for power wire? No. But it would be equally effective and clearly a better option than reducing the wire size over several feet vs a fraction of an inch.

You call it an insult. I call it a bad Idea. Perhaps I should change my name to Professional Insultanist. If your thin skinned and can't take "insults" then this place isn't for you.

If a person buys the right gauge wire and right sized connectors, he shouldn't have a problem connecting the 2 together, However, when a website says that it accepts up to 8 gauge and that person isn't even running 100000 watts where it's unneeded, something is gonna be said. Period. 1st that company needs to be notified that it doesn't fit, as stated. 2nd, let the user know that the 8 gauge is really not necessary and that 12 gauge is doable, w/o any problems. I'm here to help and make suggestions....as with any newcomber coming here asking for help/ideas/opinions on things/audio equipment. I've been in this game a long time. There's a reason I'm here and make great decisions and give the best ideas that I've experienced/dealt with...because I have had hands-on and know what works and what doesn't. Peeling/cutting back copper strands like a banana shouldn't be necessary....but has been done. It's up to the user if they wanna get into something like that. Or inform them of a better idea.

It wouldn't hurt anything to trim down the 8 awg wire and saves him a tad bit of money. *shrug* Wire is cheap though if he doesn't want to mess with trimming down the 8 awg...Now the true question did OP get Copper or CCA?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

I would have let PE know that those binding posts don't support 8 gauge wiring.
He never stated what brand of 8 awg he is using. Car audio peeps tend to forget a decent amount of car audio wire is oversized. Maybe the binding posts accept 8 awg welding cable which follows the standard? Regardless it wasn't a stupid suggestion...The fact John agreed with you should've been a hint. lol

Dumbest idea said yet.
Have to agree on this one, Cutting back wire to make it fit undersized connections is like and IS introducing an artificial bottleneck! A little one but could become significant. A bigger conductor is always a good thing.
John Kuthe...
The speaker binding post and how thin the metal is already counts as a bottleneck. Also if the amount of current already doesnt require 8 gauge in the first place there is ZERO effects to trimming and cutting in this particular case so you both are jack@sses for not even realizing such basic sh*t.

Just the 8 gauge could go to a buddy's small amplifier install or some mids and highs install later on so trimming would feel like a big waste but if he doesnt want to spend any more money on wire or have any other install plans, trimming is completely viable.

You call it an insult. I call it a bad Idea. If your thin skinned and can't take "insults" then this place isn't for you.
Thin skin //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I'm so far from thin skinned I'm like a f******g whale.

To repeat and clarify -- a well placed insult benefits everyone, but to insult someone's intelligence ("dumbest idea") when the suggestion was a good one needed a response. If for no other reason, newbie's that stumble onto this thread should have accurate information regarding the net effect of trimming off a couple awg's to fit a particular connector.

You don't like it? Fine.

Is it perfect world level? No.

Is it acceptable? Without question, yes.

Car audio peeps tend to forget a decent amount of car audio wire is oversized. ...The fact John agreed with you should've been a hint. lol
I thought that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that running the 8 gauge and trimming it down would work fine but my OCD wont let that happen. Ive spent the extra change and grabbed some 10GA. Like i said this is for my daily sub only taking 2000rms. I rather have a clean install than the unnecessarily thicker wire. Thanks again everyone for the input, love this forum asside from all the beef between the members here lol. Always get the help i need as an upcoming basshead. I should have the Zv5 18 in within a week and ill be posting a video of it when i get it in so keep an eye out!

Thin skin :roll eyes:I'm so far from thin skinned I'm like a f******g whale.

To repeat and clarify -- a well placed insult benefits everyone, but to insult someone's intelligence ("dumbest idea") when the suggestion was a good one needed a response. If for no other reason, newbie's that stumble onto this thread should have accurate information regarding the net effect of trimming off a couple awg's to fit a particular connector.

You don't like it? Fine.

Is it perfect world level? No.

Is it acceptable? Without question, yes.

I thought that as well.
Oh come the fvck on....how is insulting one's intelligence by saying dumb idea? Two totally diff things dude. Get over it.

Sorry JPatria...seems I'm getting flamed expressing my opinions AND being critizised for "insulting" people's intelligence.

Thanks again everyone for the input, love this forum asside from all the beef between the members here lol. Always get the help i need as an upcoming basshead.

It's all good.

I've been lurking around here for 15 yrs.

Arrogant c-suckers have always been a dime a dozen.

A lot of them insist on getting in the last word, belligerant or otherwise.

Sorry JPatria...seems I'm getting flamed expressing my opinions AND being critizised for "insulting" people's intelligence.
What was that you were saying about thin skin?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

It's all good.I've been lurking around here for 15 yrs.

Arrogant c-suckers have always been a dime a dozen.

A lot of them insist on getting in the last word, belligerant or otherwise.

What was that you were saying about thin skin?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

I'm not at all butthurt if that's what your implying. Try again.

Hey it is what it is, ill just choose to stay mutual and enjoy the read //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Still my favorite basshead site.

You call it an insult. I call it a bad Idea. Perhaps I should change my name to Professional Insultanist. If your thin skinned and can't take "insults" then this place isn't for you.
If a person buys the right gauge wire and right sized connectors, he shouldn't have a problem connecting the 2 together, However, when a website says that it accepts up to 8 gauge and that person isn't even running 100000 watts where it's unneeded, something is gonna be said. Period. 1st that company needs to be notified that it doesn't fit, as stated. 2nd, let the user know that the 8 gauge is really not necessary and that 12 gauge is doable, w/o any problems. I'm here to help and make suggestions....as with any newcomber coming here asking for help/ideas/opinions on things/audio equipment. I've been in this game a long time. There's a reason I'm here and make great decisions and give the best ideas that I've experienced/dealt with...because I have had hands-on and know what works and what doesn't. Peeling/cutting back copper strands like a banana shouldn't be necessary....but has been done. It's up to the user if they wanna get into something like that. Or inform them of a better idea.
Could change your name to forum idiot....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.