Downgrade wire or change box design?

Was about to wire my subs up and was picked up a pair of these (Parts Express Dual-Ended Gold Binding Post Speaker Terminal Pair) for the sub box to run my speaker wire with and the bastards dont support 8GA wire even though they claim they do on the website. **** they look like they could barely take 10GA wire. Should i try and just downgrade to 10GA and give that a shot or just get rid of them and run the wire stright through then caulk it off? Im leaning towards just getting some 10GA but dont wanna lose out on power...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Unless you are running an extremely long length wire or are running a tremendous amount of power, 10 gauge (or even 12) will be perfectly fine. For 99.999% of car audio installs, any speaker wire over 12gauge is overkill.

Was about to wire my subs up and was picked up a pair of these (Parts Express Dual-Ended Gold Binding Post Speaker Terminal Pair) for the sub box to run my speaker wire with and the bastards dont support 8GA wire even though they claim they do on the website. **** they look like they could barely take 10GA wire. Should i try and just downgrade to 10GA and give that a shot or just get rid of them and run the wire stright through then caulk it off? Im leaning towards just getting some 10GA but dont wanna lose out on power...
how much power are you actually running? If you arent running at least 3k per sub i woulndnt bother with 8 gauge. Speaker wire connections is mainly voltage based not current based like power wire so the need for surface area is much less since a lot less amps are passing through.

how much power are you actually running? If you arent running at least 3k per sub i woulndnt bother with 8 gauge. Speaker wire connections is mainly voltage based not current based like power wire so the need for surface area is much less since a lot less amps are passing through.
2000w at 1 ohm to one sub. So should i get 10GA or even 12GA?

I would have let PE know that those binding posts don't support 8 gauge wiring.

Dumbest idea said yet.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

No need to be a d**k

Trimming it is a perfectly effective solution. The net effect is no effect at all.

At full tilt that wire could see 44A.

Making some reasonable assumptions -- primarily that you don't play sine waves at or into clipping -- 10 awg is fine, but 8 isn't exactly overkill.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
No need to be a d**k

Trimming it is a perfectly effective solution. The net effect is no effect at all.

At full tilt that wire could see 44A.

Making some reasonable assumptions -- primarily that you don't play sine waves at or into clipping -- 10 awg is fine, but 8 isn't exactly overkill.
Oh I'm sorry you don't like my comment. But it's the truth and trimming copper wire shouldn't be necessary. Is he gonna say the same thing when it comes time for someone to install wiring for amps to batteries? I certainly hope not.

OFC is the better choice. Do everything right the 1st time to prevent problems later on down the road.

Oh I'm sorry you don't like my comment. But it's the truth and trimming copper wire shouldn't be necessary. Is he gonna say the same thing when it comes time for someone to install wiring for amps to batteries? I certainly hope not.
OFC is the better choice. Do everything right the 1st time to prevent problems later on down the road.
Have to agree on this one, Cutting back wire to make it fit undersized connections is like and IS introducing an artificial bottleneck! A little one but could become significant. A bigger conductor is always a good thing.

John Kuthe...

Have to agree on this one, Cutting back wire to make it fit undersized connections is like and IS introducing an artificial bottleneck! A little one but could become significant. A bigger conductor is always a good thing.
John Kuthe...
I agree, sounded like a good idea until i thought about it. Im just gonna buy some 10GA. I onyl spent like $20on the 8GA so its no big deal

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.