Do subs work better in a..........?

Participant count
  • Participant list
It all depends on what you want. If your going for clarity i would recommend a sealed box although they are not as loud. Bandpass can be really loud but doesn't put out as good as tones. Ported boxes are kinda inbetween. I have a ported box and it is much louder than my friends sealed. I don't know if any of this helps but it's all i know about boxes.

it also depends on your subs. there are certain subs that just can't go in certain boxes....Kicker solos in a ported box...

Check with your manufacturer and see what the specs are. There are too many self-make experts out there that neglect the engineering it takes to build the **** speaker in the first place...

The speakers I have are said to be made for sealed or ported...It says so in the manual...But I put them in a bandpass and their much louder now with much more spl....I guess the SQ might have droped some but I guess that the price i pay for wanting more thump....Could I get almost the same bass in a ported box or would I lose alot of my tresured thump...If I have to lose alot of it in a ported box then I won't bother changing it....

I just want SQ in my tweeters and mids....

Adam Chandler

A bandpass box will usually give you a 3-6 db boost at a certain frequency band, like 50-60 Hz. The trade off is that you usually loose 6-9 db under that band, 40Hz and down. What you hear is lots more bass, but lots less true bottom-feeder bass (that stuff you feel but can hardly hear...)

Ported box is going to compromise the boost for more bottom end...so if you like rattling the car in front of you at stoplights, don't change...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.