Do OS brands have anything good anymore? Sounstream, Precision Power, Planet Audio?

TxVibe
10+ year member

Houston
Was looking for a Class D mono that puts out 4-500W @ 4ohm, around 700+ at 2ohm, and somwhere around 1000W @ 1ohm. Or higher wattage at 2ohms is okay too. I was looking at the RF R1000-1D and the Kenwood KAC-9105D. However the reviews on the Kenwood seem to by iffy. Can't tell if the negatives are because people don't know what they are doing or what.

This led me to look at companies like Soundstream, PPI, and PA. Once great brands, now not regarded so highly. However, there seems to be a push from some of them to try and regain that reputation as the Soundstream REF series give that impression. So, are there any series within these brands like the SS Piccaso, Rubicon, REF or the PPI Sedona, or Planet Audio Big Bang or Apocalypse that are actually worth considering? Otherwise I'm just gonna get the RF, cuz that's about what I can afford.

when i think old school i don't think class d. i think ab
Indeed. However these brand held reputation because of some of their phenomenal AB products. I'm not trying to compare AB to D. I was simply wondering

if their D class products were worth purchasing in their current status as a company. I've done some research on SS, and from what I can tell the new RUB and REF lines seem to be legit. However, I know nothing about any current PPI or Planet Audio stuff.

I agree 100% with this statement.
Appreciate the opinion, but this is not a debate of what a good old school amp is or is not.

It's simply asking if these brands that once had a great reputation make anything decent now.

Do you have an experience with these lines D class amps that have surfaced with their "reinvention"?

i have a bb2400.1. love it so far. bought it refurbed though(220$). the bb2 series planet audio do not do rated but do put out close. the bb2400.1 states 2400 rms. im saying mine is doing 2000 rms. it does get kinda hot, but has never shut off. its pushing a fully loaded FI btl 18.

you can get them new at vmi for a decent price with a coupon

I actually ordered the RUB1.700. It fits my current needs, I love the OS look, and was relatively inexpensive. This will help me decide on the brands quality and if I will purchase any further products from them.

I actually ordered the RUB1.700. It fits my current needs, I love the OS look, and was relatively inexpensive. This will help me decide on the brands quality and if I will purchase any further products from them.
Do yourself a favor and buy a used Reference Class A before you decide if the new stuff is any good. Once you own stuff like that you'll see what people say the new stuff is garbage. (it's b/c it usually is)

Do yourself a favor and buy a used Reference Class A before you decide if the new stuff is any good. Once you own stuff like that you'll see what people say the new stuff is garbage. (it's b/c it usually is)
I only meant their current poduction......not the stuff of yesteryear. Im not an audiophile, probably wouldn't hear the difference. Besides I doubt to the discerning ear that ANY brand's class d stuff would hold a candle to these OS powerhouse class A amps if you want to make tha comparison. But that's not what I was trying to do in the first place. Again I was just asking if any of these brands for making inequality products today, Compared only 2 other products being made today

I only meant their current poduction......not the stuff of yesteryear. Im not an audiophile, probably wouldn't hear the difference. Besides I doubt to the discerning ear that ANY brand's class d stuff would hold a candle to these OS powerhouse class A amps if you want to make tha comparison. But that's not what I was trying to do in the first place. Again I was just asking if any of these brands for making inequality products today, Compared only 2 other products being made today

Okay, sorry. That was supposed to be said by me, but sharing a computer with my pops while he's visiting. But anyway, same thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.