Digital design M1D

Participant count
  • Participants list

Dd6101992

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all I just got a DD M1D amp and the gain is set really high like 3/4 of the way up. I had a Memphis VIV 1100 before this and it was only below half and sounded great. I have 2 DD 610’s D4 hooked up to 1 ohm. I’m getting 13 volts to the amp. I’m using a 4 gauge wire with a 100 fuse amp. Do I need to upgrade to a 1/0 OFC with a 250 fuse? I just bought a new rca cable. I’m confused on why the gain is so high compared to the Memphis with only 1100 watts.

Attachments

• 83978AD3-14AE-44D6-9FA9-3EE65DEDD255.jpeg
    83978AD3-14AE-44D6-9FA9-3EE65DEDD255.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 30DF31F6-5242-46F4-A6AC-72179A9D6C34.jpeg
    30DF31F6-5242-46F4-A6AC-72179A9D6C34.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 308
  • 1AA24BAE-C4DA-43C1-9782-C6338C9D5478.jpeg
    1AA24BAE-C4DA-43C1-9782-C6338C9D5478.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 306
Go with 0 gauge and a 200 amp fuse if your electrical is gonna ever sit around 14 volts or more. That amp pulls a max of 170 amps and 4 gauge only supports 150 amps of current. But at 13 volts you should be fine with the 4 gauge wire and upgrade your fuse to a 150 amp fuse. If the rca pre outs on your head unit are 2.5 volts then it’s ok to have the amps gain 3/4s of the way up but your amp is probably 4 volt pre outs or 5 volt pre outs. For 4 volts have the gain a little below half and for 5 volts have the gain 1/3 of the way up. The higher the gain is turned up the lower the voltage is in the rca signal. If the rca signal calls for 4 volts and the gain is 3/4s of the way up around 2 volts then that creates clipping (a distorted signal). Distortion kills subs sooner or later. The gain doesn’t increase power/rms, it just for setting the voltage to match the head unit. Just because it sounds louder doesn’t mean it’s louder. That sound you hear that seems louder is a high frequency hum along with the bass note and it will kill your subs over a period of time. Some sooner, some later. Depends.

Last edited:
Okay I just talked to someone about this. I have a kenwood excelon DD396 with the pre output of 5v but I tested the output and it came out to .2 which I think the head unit is bad. The max gain on the amp is .2v so I’m guessing that’s why the gain is so high. The head unit is only 2 months old? I have brand new rca’s also. I tested the output in the amp and I he told me to go to 31.6 and that’s almost 3/4 of the way up where it was before.

This is how I tune my amp. Get a 3.3 microfarad 100v non-polarized capacitor from parts-express.com for like 55 cents or something like that and hook it up to the positive terminal of any small speaker or tweeter and run some wire from it and of course run a wire from the negative terminal. Unhook your subs from your amp and Hook up the distortion detector you just made to your amp like you would your subwoofers mono. Turn your head unit up 3/4s of the way and play a 40 hz test tone from YouTube. The Sonicelectronix -3db one will be at the top. Choose that one. Make sure your gain is all the way down then when it starts playing the tone slowly turn your gain up until you hear the little speaker start to make a humming sound then back off a little bit until it stops and your amp is tuned. If you can turn it up all the way without hearing a noise then your head unit has a bad signal or your rcas are bad. Replace whatever is bad. But if you like your head unit and don’t wanna replace it and your rca wires are good and it’s your head unit sending a weak signal then get a line driver to hook your rcas up to then to the amp to increase the signal. And get more rcas for the line driver. About $20 or get a small rca wire for about $10. Then you can find a line driver for about 50 or 60 dollars. Some are cheaper and some are more expensive.

Last edited:
Here’s a 3 foot rca cable for $8. $28 and your problem is fixed. Then spend that very little bit of money and make a distortion detector.

If it becomes a hassle or too much or you can’t figure it out then get a shop to hook up the line driver for you or get a new head unit. It would be cheaper to go the line driver route even if you had to pay a shop to install it. But with the info and videos I’ve posted you should be able to do it yourself with no problems. Much love and happy bumpin!

Last edited:

The good thing about the line driver I posted above is that it has a remote in and out so you can hook your regular remote wire in the remote in and then a wire out the remote out to your amp to make it easier instead of having to split your remote wire.

Hmmmmm that seems like a quick fix and good investment. If I’m gonna do that I wanna go with a high end converter. What’s a high end one you know of?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.