help with electical 2000w rms gmc envoy 2003

high output alt or stay stock? xs power or dual duracells?

• high output alt + duracell agm (dual purpose/starting/ cycling) and deep cycle duracell (secondary)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stock alt + duracell agm (dual purpose/starting/ cycling) and deep cycle duracell (secondary)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
Im currrently planning an uprade from my 500 w rms rockford p1 enclosure to something like 2 sundown SA- 12's or similar. in a 2003 gmc envoy
the sa's would be 1500 rms together and figuring in 125 w rms x 4 for components i would be at 2000w rms. (2500 w draw accounting for efficency, d class amps)
my question is.... do i need an alternator?? orr no? stock alt on gmc envoy is 150 amps
and i was ether gonna go with 1 xs power agm d3400
or 1 Duracell Ultra Platinum AGM Battery with Dual Terminals for BCI Group 34/78 SLI to replace stock battery,and Duracell Ultra BCI Group 27M Deep Cycle Marine & RV Battery as a secondary. what do you guys think? im kinda lost here. have no idea where to go
amperage draw for 2500w from battery is 180A.

I got a trailblazer. They have exact same parts as envoy, just a different body kinda. So the alt u got now should be a 150 amp. Which most people's stock one is smaller. My voltage ain't perfect, but maintains okay. I got the skar rp2000.1d and if u know anything about this amp it's 2000 watts rms. I will probably get a new alt soon. But I got the big 5 done. And grounds are very very important! It's all about grounding to the frame!

I got a trailblazer. They have exact same parts as envoy, just a different body kinda. So the alt u got now should be a 150 amp. Which most people's stock one is smaller. My voltage ain't perfect, but maintains okay. I got the skar rp2000.1d and if u know anything about this amp it's 2000 watts rms. I will probably get a new alt soon. But I got the big 5 done. And grounds are very very important! It's all about grounding to the frame!
What batteries are you running? i can do big 3 no problem. but big 5 im unfamiliar with. what is that? i was also looking at the same amp for these subs actually.

What batteries are you running? i can do big 3 no problem. but big 5 im unfamiliar with. what is that? i was also looking at the same amp for these subs actually.
I have just a regular ass battery. Everything is stock. My big 5 is...
1, battery positive to alt
2, battery negative to alt casing
3, engine ground to frame
4, battery negative to frame
5, battery positive to fuse box (not much room for this, but possible)
I also got double 0 guage power and ground going to my skar. And it all performs pretty well. But if u can afford it, get at least a 250 amp alt and a d's power or optima yellow top battery or something.

I deff love this Skar RP-2000.1D tho! It's actually more efficient than the xplode 1000 watt amp I had previously! And it only maxed out at 400 watts rms lol. The efficiency just ******. This Skar is amazing! And I'm only at half gain.

You can get an AD244 large case for <$50 from a junkyard if your envoy came with the smaller alternator. Not sure what engine the envoy has but if it mounts like the full size suvs/trucks that'll be the easiest upgrade you can do

That and a battery is all you need besides doing the big three and running good cable. You're not going to draw 2500w, it'll be more like 1500w

Stock alt and an upgraded front battery with Big 3 upgrade is all you need. You will be no where near 2500rms.
Thanks a ton for the reply. I think this is the way to go. ill get the xs power and build my own box subs up port back. 1/0 ofc from bay to hatch into distribution block.
i'm getting people telling me to use welding cable for big 3. but i thought 1/0 ofc audio cable was fine. whats your take on that? I already have 25 feet of 1/0 ofc

Thanks a ton for the reply. I think this is the way to go. ill get the xs power and build my own box subs up port back. 1/0 ofc from bay to hatch into distribution block.
i'm getting people telling me to use welding cable for big 3. but i thought 1/0 ofc audio cable was fine. whats your take on that? I already have 25 feet of 1/0 ofc

I love my 2/0 EB Flex welding cable but car audio wire is much easier to bend and easier to use for the big 3 IMO.

I would run a Northstar G34 before an XS power.

You can get an AD244 large case for <$50 from a junkyard if your envoy came with the smaller alternator. Not sure what engine the envoy has but if it mounts like the full size suvs/trucks that'll be the easiest upgrade you can do

That and a battery is all you need besides doing the big three and running good cable. You're not going to draw 2500w, it'll be more like 1500w
im definitely looking into higher output oem alts for that part of the upgrade. sadly ad244 doesnt look like it will fit. (however ive never done an alt replacement so maybe it would with some slight modification or an aftermarket bracket). im thinking just the xs power for now and if i have too much voltage drop or dimming then i will grab an alt from a junkyard and figure out how to make it fit.

I love my 2/0 EB Flex welding cable but car audio wire is much easier to bend and easier to use for the big 3 IMO.

I would run a Northstar G34 before an XS power.

perfect i dont have to waste my ofc lol.
any particular reason for the northstar? its 60 bucks cheaper. has less ah ( 60 as opposed to 80. but its expressed in 20hour and 10 hour capacities, not simply AH, and it lists internal resistance but i cant find an internal resistance spec on the xs anywhere online)
this is whats so annoying about companies taking liberties with their spec sheets. its hard to compare products.

Yeah dude just use that then! I'm a welder for a living lol. And it does work very well. But that ofc is as good as it gets. And a bonus that you already have it.

I'm guessing it's the 4.2L like mine? I don't have the 4wd.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...