Did I blow my amped Bazooka?

hawk45
10+ year member

Tool
How do I know if my amplified Bazooka bass tube amp is blown? Fuse never blew between battery and tube powerline. Have good connection of powerline at battery. I took the tube apart and looked at the amplifier inside and looks ok (now burn marks or blown diods).

The tube has a knob on the back for adjusting the amount of bass... when I turn it the sound changes (deeper/less deep) but power does not get any stronger. Seems like it is only being pushed by the HU's 18RMS.

Thanks,

Hawk

I dont think the hu should be powering it all because it is internally amped. If you used the speaker connection instaed of rca cabled that just sends it the signal. Not power. The amp in the tube gives it the power which is connected to your battery.

I dont think the hu should be powering it all because it is internally amped. If you used the speaker connection instaed of rca cabled that just sends it the signal. Not power. The amp in the tube gives it the power which is connected to your battery.
But my 6x9's are not amped and they play music without an amp...so why any different than the tube? The amp on the tube just makes it louder. Correct?

But my 6x9's are not amped and they play music without an amp...so why any different than the tube? The amp on the tube just makes it louder. Correct?
I will assume that if your 6x9s are not amped then they are wired directly to the speaker outputs on the head unit. They are not actually playing without an amp - just not an outboard component amp. The amp inside your head unit is powering them.

I've not personally seen your install so I do not know whether you're using the RCA inputs or speaker-wire inputs on that Bazooka tube but either way all the input method is doing is bringing the signal to the amp in that tube to be amplified/crossed-over before being sent to the bass driver.

Unless you've snaked speaker wire off of the head unit into the tube and connected it directly to the sub in there I can't see any way that the head unit could be powering that sub directly.

Much as I hate to say it seeing as it's manufactured in my home state....Bazooka just isn't quality gear.

I figured as so... It was only $100 and got a year out of it... I am updating now... going to get 1 (maybe 2) Alpine SWE-1242 and an amp to run my 4 6x9's and an amp for subs... cash is the issue now. I should really update my ride first... but WTF rite??

I figured as so... It was only $100 and got a year out of it... I am updating now... going to get 1 (maybe 2) Alpine SWE-1242 and an amp to run my 4 6x9's and an amp for subs... cash is the issue now. I should really update my ride first... but WTF rite??
rather than tell you wtf... I will offer a suggestion. If you spent 100 on the bass tube and want a replacment on a budget.. Alpine is good to look at. I would suggest these type r's

http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/3158

$115 (or something) and thats 2 models up from the type E.

Bazooka = bad

Alpine = good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

if you want alpine get some comp vr's
wait those r kicker... nvm
you are my hero! best part is it took you three minutes to notice they were kickers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The tube has a knob on the back for adjusting the amount of bass... when I turn it the sound changes (deeper/less deep) but power does not get any stronger. Thanks,

Hawk
that is the xover

that is the xover
Cool... You guys are great at helping out a noob with this stuff. I was not aware. I have to admit... it is sad... for how much I love listening and playing music I don't know crap about equipment.

Terms I know:

Subwoofer

Head Unit

Amp

Speakers

Wire

RCA

Other than those I am an idiot box... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

The more I am reading...the more I am learning...

Thanks,

Guys for passing on the knowledge... even to an old fart like me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.