Designing New Stereo - Looking for advice

cmw9787

Ohio
Hi everyone, like the title says, I'm designing a new system and would really like some advice from some more experienced people before I go spending all my money.

I just bought a 2014 VW GTI. I could maybe call myself an audiophile but I don't expect perfection in a car... My goal for this system is to have above average sound quality, android auto, and maintain all stock functionality. I'd like to keep this whole thing under $1200. Here's what I've come up with so far...

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

Speakers: Polk Audio MM6501 front and back

Speaker Amp: JL Audio 300/4v2 (already own)

Sub: Dayton Audio RSS265HO-44 10" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer (already own)

Sub Box: 0.75 ft^3 standard MDF box (already own)

Sub Amp: JL Audio HD750/1 monoblock (already own)

Factory Integration: iDataLink Maestro ADS-MRR module & HRN-RR-VW1 harness

Wire: All from Knukonceptz

So, what would y'all do different?

id ditch the polks, front and rear. get a good set for the fronts, no need for rears. Image Dynamics are very nice for the $

Agree with nauc. You definitely do not need the back speakers. However, I would go with Morel Tempo Ultra 602 two-way components for the front stage. I own these and these speakers definitely rock!!! They have a very smooth high end that is very crisp and detailed. I, now, hear musical instruments in my music that I've never heard before with my Kappas. You can play them loud for a long time and your ears will not get fatigued. In addition, your ears will NOT be ringing after playing them loud for a long time when you finally turn off your system, either. I love that! Even more surprising was the bass response. Very tight and pretty deep for 6.5" drivers. There is a build log on diymobilaudio.com using these Morels. The guy talks about them a lot. Read that build log.

Ditch the mids and highs in the rear and invest that money into some deadening to properly seal and deaden the front doors. I'm a big fan if JBL/Infinity lineup but with components it's largely personal preference and location... .mostly location IMO.

Agree with nauc. You definitely do not need the back speakers. However, I would go with Morel Tempo Ultra 602 two-way components for the front stage. I own these and these speakers definitely rock!!! They have a very smooth high end that is very crisp and detailed. I, now, hear musical instruments in my music that I've never heard before with my Kappas. You can play them loud for a long time and your ears will not get fatigued. In addition, your ears will NOT be ringing after playing them loud for a long time when you finally turn off your system, either. I love that! Even more surprising was the bass response. Very tight and pretty deep for 6.5" drivers. There is a build log on diymobilaudio.com using these Morels. The guy talks about them a lot. Read that build log.
I like what I'm reading about these. Any good tips on where to buy besides Amazon? They're going for $335 right now, is that about what I should expect to pay?

I like what I'm reading about these. Any good tips on where to buy besides Amazon? They're going for $335 right now, is that about what I should expect to pay?

Ive got some Hertz Hsk 165 for 220$ shipped if your interested at all.
I'm assuming used? Also I started reading about them just now and found a ton of search results about there being a lot of fakes....

I bought mine on Ebay for $271 and they were brand new and they are authentic. I was a little concerned about authenticity, so when I received them I called the U.S. office of Morel and asked them if they were authentic. They told me to take a picture of the box (because the serial # is on the outside of the box...weird, right?) and to take a picture of the back of the midbass driver. I did so and sent them the pics. They replied back to me saying they were, indeed, authentic.

Here is the link to those speakers from that Ebay seller:

Authentic Original Morel Tempo Ultra 602 2 Way Pro Component Speaker System 6 5" 7290001458525 | eBay

These are the best addition to my car audio system. But, I did , also, sound deaden my doors. I strongly advise you do the same. You will not be disappointed if you do.

I bought mine on Ebay for $271 and they were brand new and they are authentic. I was a little concerned about authenticity, so when I received them I called the U.S. office of Morel and asked them if they were authentic. They told me to take a picture of the box (because the serial # is on the outside of the box...weird, right?) and to take a picture of the back of the midbass driver. I did so and sent them the pics. They replied back to me saying they were, indeed, authentic.
Here is the link to those speakers from that Ebay seller:

Authentic Original Morel Tempo Ultra 602 2 Way Pro Component Speaker System 6 5" 7290001458525 | eBay

These are the best addition to my car audio system. But, I did , also, sound deaden my doors. I strongly advise you do the same. You will not be disappointed if you do.
Thanks for the tips! Sound deadening is definitely on my todo list.

I've gotten several suggestions for some really high end speakers... I guess I'm wondering if the head unit I've chosen will even bring out the best in these speakers or if it won't make much difference if I go a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the tips! Sound deadening is definitely on my todo list.
I've gotten several suggestions for some really high end speakers... I guess I'm wondering if the head unit I've chosen will even bring out the best in these speakers or if it won't make much difference if I go a bit cheaper.
Don't go cheaper!!! It all starts at the head unit. If your head unit is spitting out a crappy signal then your amp will be amplifying that crappy signal and your expensive speakers will be reproducing that amplified crappy signal. Personally, I use an old school Eclipse CD8051 that throws out a strong 8 volts to my amp. It's (what I consider) a very high end deadhead SQ head unit and was considered a competition grade head unit in it's day. You don't see too many deadhead head units anymore. My point is: Get as good a head unit as you can afford. Not one that necessarily has tons of features, but one that throws out a strong signal and has good DAC's. Some people will tell you having processing abilities is a must, but I don't necessarily agree with that. I don't have any processing and I love the sound I am getting (crisp, dynamic reproduction). Sure, getting a DSP will probably improve the sound (and I plan on getting one...one day), but it is not absolutely necessary to get great sound reproduction. Just get quality components (head unit, amp, speakers) and get a good install and you will probably be happy...at least to start out.

Thanks for the tips! Sound deadening is definitely on my todo list....
I bought some Second Skin products (supposed to be top of the line): Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro! My installer guy is gonna stick it everywhere he can in Baby II! That's part of his job.

John Kuthe...

I'm sorry, I meant the speakers... This head unit isn't focused on SQ. I want all of its other features and decided to sacrifice on SQ a bit (compared to something like the 80prs). So, does it make sense to buy the best speakers possible considering the head unit I'm getting?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.