Opinions on Trunk and Sub Position (Not what you think)

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm having alot of thoughts on subwoofer position in my Acura TL. What I have always heard is place the sub facing the trunk to let the sound waves bounce off the trunk lid and what not. Facing it towards the cabin is apparently bad in a sedan because it causes cancellation. That makes sense, but my car has a feature that not all sedans have, a ski pass. For those who aren't aware, it is essentially a middle seat that folds down. Could I take advantage of this feature and have my subwoofer pointed at the ski pass when folded down? Would I need to flip the phase switch as well? My sub has been facing the trunk and I have gone back and forth between the ski pass open and closed, though. Open gives looser, but more forceful bass with less rattles, but closed it gives tighter but less powerful bass and more rattles. I'm getting sound deadener within the next few months so maybe that'll change the effect completely, idk. What does everyone think about all of this?

Before you ask, my car is in the shop rn so I can't do anything with it. I also don't have as good of judgement on this as the rest of you here anyway lol

I would send a pic, but the only one in my phone is too large to send and I'm unable to condense it.

I'm having alot of thoughts on subwoofer position in my Acura TL. What I have always heard is place the sub facing the trunk to let the sound waves bounce off the trunk lid and what not. Facing it towards the cabin is apparently bad in a sedan because it causes cancellation. That makes sense, but my car has a feature that not all sedans have, a ski pass. For those who aren't aware, it is essentially a middle seat that folds down. Could I take advantage of this feature and have my subwoofer pointed at the ski pass when folded down? Would I need to flip the phase switch as well? My sub has been facing the trunk and I have gone back and forth between the ski pass open and closed, though. Open gives looser, but more forceful bass with less rattles, but closed it gives tighter but less powerful bass and more rattles. I'm getting sound deadener within the next few months so maybe that'll change the effect completely, idk. What does everyone think about all of this?
Before you ask, my car is in the shop rn so I can't do anything with it. I also don't have as good of judgement on this as the rest of you here anyway lol

I would send a pic, but the only one in my phone is too large to send and I'm unable to condense it.
TrunkSubwooferPlacement_zps32a2600c.png

Basically your options^

Without sealing off, you should always face towards the lid, with sealing off, facing forward provides louder and cleaner bass

TrunkSubwooferPlacement_zps32a2600c.png

Basically your options^

Without sealing off, you should always face towards the lid, with sealing off, facing forward provides louder and cleaner bass
By sealing off do you mean like infinite baffle? I'm kind of confused by what you're saying as in "sealing off." Also, I'm not sure which part of the pic is the supposed to be the lid lol. And you think my best bet is to just keep my sub where it is and have the ski pass folded up?

By sealing off do you mean like infinite baffle? I'm kind of confused by what you're saying as in "sealing off." Also, I'm not sure which part of the pic is the supposed to be the lid lol. And you think my best bet is to just keep my sub where it is and have the ski pass folded up?
The left side is the rear of the trunk lid. and yes like infinite baffle. Think of a ported box facing forward into the cabin with all sides sealed off from the trunk.

0818120941.jpg

sentra3.jpg

IMG082.jpg

fbox.jpg

That includes pulling the back deck and making sure there are no holes that let air from the cabin meet the trunk. Basically imagine it like your subwoofer box is firing into your cabin and you want to be able to fill your trunk completely with water without any of it coming into the cabin.

The ski pass will VERY Minimal to help in any sub direction configuration

Question the ski pass is it small like an armrest or bigger like a seat? Yes it matters if a small opening facing forward and small opening = not going to work out easily.

I 2nd facing subs forward but only if you completely seal the cabin from the trunk ( extremely important that you seal it 100% expanding foam x20 cans helps a lot) other wise face them as in the pics towards the rear. Oh ya 1 more important detail if you face them forward and seal the trunk the output from the subs will drop a fair amount when the ski pass is closed

Here this worked out great for me. Also notice the center of the rear dash that is actually a vent so when the seats are up I wouldn't lose any output And it worked quite well I almost couldn't tell a difference

Good luck with your build I hope what I've said helps you make a good decision

SA 12-D4 x2 Old School PPI amps & 31 eq, Pioneer HU, Focal fronts, Mechman, 4/0 & 1/0 everywhere,Interstate batt x3 6cuft 28Hz

Those pics explain much better haha. Definitely not something I'm looking to get into for my car... So, at it's current state the ski pass should be up and not folded down? And judging from he diagram my box should be close to the lid and not distant?

Question the ski pass is it small like an armrest or bigger like a seat? Yes it matters if a small opening facing forward and small opening = not going to work out easily.
I 2nd facing subs forward but only if you completely seal the cabin from the trunk ( extremely important that you seal it 100% expanding foam x20 cans helps a lot) other wise face them as in the pics towards the rear. Oh ya 1 more important detail if you face them forward and seal the trunk the output from the subs will drop a fair amount when the ski pass is closed

Here this worked out great for me. Also notice the center of the rear dash that is actually a vent so when the seats are up I wouldn't lose any output And it worked quite well I almost couldn't tell a difference

Good luck with your build I hope what I've said helps you make a good decision

SA 12-D4 x2 Old School PPI amps & 31 eq, Pioneer HU, Focal fronts, Mechman, 4/0 & 1/0 everywhere,Interstate batt x3 6cuft 28Hz
It's arm rest size so yeah prob won't work haha And I like the idea of a vent. My factory sub is actually right in the middle of the rear deck so I may remove that eventually and make a hole in that area. Not ideal as I have to remove the rear seats and cut away at my car. You think I should just keep the ski pass folded up?

Thanks for the help and well wishes, it's just a never ending struggle getting the sound I want lol

It's arm rest size so yeah prob won't work haha And I like the idea of a vent. My factory sub is actually right in the middle of the rear deck so I may remove that eventually and make a hole in that area. Not ideal as I have to remove the rear seats and cut away at my car. You think I should just keep the ski pass folded up? Thanks for the help and well wishes, it's just a never ending struggle getting the sound I want lol
you dont have to remove anything or cut anything. Its about making what you have work. I faced my sub box forward and then cut out cardboard to fill in the holes that were there then i transferred cardboard to wood, carpeted it and called it good.

It's arm rest size so yeah prob won't work haha And I like the idea of a vent. My factory sub is actually right in the middle of the rear deck so I may remove that eventually and make a hole in that area. Not ideal as I have to remove the rear seats and cut away at my car. You think I should just keep the ski pass folded up? Thanks for the help and well wishes, it's just a never ending struggle getting the sound I want lol
If you removed a nice size piece from the rear deck you could face subs up but ya cutting away at the car be careful good luck and post some pics when your done

I have horrible craftsmanship and am always busy so something like that would never get done honestly. Thsts why my amp and speakers were done by a shop lol. So do I just keep the ski pass folded up for now? And is my sub facing being near the front of the trunk or does it need to be pushed closer to the lid?

I have horrible craftsmanship and am always busy so something like that would never get done honestly. Thsts why my amp and speakers were done by a shop lol. So do I just keep the ski pass folded up for now? And is my sub facing being near the front of the trunk or does it need to be pushed closer to the lid?
Closest to the lid without it hitting when playing. Leave the ski pass however you like it.

Read the post, not surprised KnuConceptz came in 3rd. They put out awesome stuff for the price. Have their 4 gauge kit in my car (awesome price for what you get). I will probably go with the NVX deadening kit I found online. Good reviews and price. I don't need anything too fancy as I'm only pushing one sealed 12 on 500w

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.