Design Questions for 2X 12" Pioneer TS-W3002D4 in 2.4 Cubic Ft @ 31 Hz Enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

DeWize1

SO, I've done as much research as I possibly can but my brain is starting to get overwhelmed with all the info.

Here is the spec list for these subs:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Pioneer%20TS-W3002%202502%20instruction%20manual.pdf

Currently my subs are in this box:

Dual 12" Sealed Car Subwoofer 3/4" MDF Enclosure/Box 2.46 Cu Ft

I'm aware these are larger then the recommended sealed enclosure volume for the subs, but, I bough this box with my first pair of Kenwood subs that have since blown and never switched (I was new to all this and didn't realize recommended enclosure volume was so important.)

I am now trying to venture into building my own box that is ported. BUT, I realize I will be very limited on space and that this may prove to be difficult (or impossible) given the space requirements.

Here is the "List"

Vehicle : 2012 Hyundai Accent

Location in the vehicle: In the trunk facing the rear

Space available (Length x Width x Height): Current box dimensions 28-1/2"L x 14-1/4"D x 14-1/4"H

with about 2-3 in. available on either side of the length, and plenty of depth room (can't get much taller)

Subwoofer make and model: Pioneer TS-W3002D4

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 2

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Would prefer Aero

What type of music do you like?: Usually electronic music when alone, but any music when gf is in the car.

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: I want to feel the bass more then I do now, But I don't want to not here my indoor speakers

Tuning Freq (Hz): Natural frequency of the subs is 31.4Hz, I hear it's good to keep it at or below this. But I also hear 33Hz is a perfect combo of SPL and SQ.

Volume : Recommended is 1.2 cu ft. per sub

Questions: How big of a box am I looking. I've used Torres and gotten a box that seems to work and fit, and I've modeled it in Pro-Engineer (I have access to high level modeling software) But I get lost when it comes to port size, diameter, how many ports, etc. Some calculators say up to 7 in diameter ports, but the recommended from pioneer is 3" for each sub (I know the schematic shows it as separate chambers) The Torres setup has one port as being 3" in diameter and 6" long which gives a ~31Hz tuning frequency and 2.39 cu. ft. of volume with all walls being typical .75" MDF and the front wall having an extra .75" baffle. But will this give me port noise? Do I need a larger diameter port? Should I separate the chambers and have two ports? Won't that make it too big?

Any kind of help here would be great. I'd love to get working on building this box. but I don't want to go to the trouble of building it just to have it sound horrifying (which I know has happened to many of you here in the past I'm sure.) Thanks again to anyone who can help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.