Dayton Audio Box Build

Update:

Got the vehicle out to a field nearby and cranked up the volume.. Have to say I'm very pleased with the output. Experiencing extension all the way down to 11hz... The highs n lows and in between seem to be at the exact same output..

This is all on only 750watts..

Gonna do some more fine tuning and allow the drivers to soften up before i apply 1200-1400watts..

What kind of video are you guys wanting to see?

Rear view mirror action?

Windows flexing?

Headrest flexing?

Please let me know what you'd like to see..

Cheers

Nice.

How about just an interior vid giving us an idea of the pressure, then maybe an open trunk shot showing the excursion. Just be careful with that power, don't break 'em.

Update:

I’ve noticed the m1d amp getting super hot. Hot to where I can only keep my hand there for a few seconds..

Currently the gains set for about 750watts @ 1ohm and these Dayton’s need 1200

All the bass boosts n loudness @ 0.

My voltage meter is tapped into my ignition wire and it never drops below 13.8v

The Dayton’s are also getting hot to the touch after a song or two..

Maybe bc the cones are aluminum??

Is this amp gone bad? My last amp was a Onyx1.1000D and it barely got warm.. Never had any issues..

Re on each driver is 1.6, so .8 at the lowest point. Not at every frequency, obviously, but be sure the amp is seeing it somewhere above and below the impedance spike. Couple that with some nasty phase angles on the impedance spike and your amp will get plenty hot. You can read more about that under the "Phase Angle" portion of this link but this is the takeaway. "So if the amplifier delivers 100 W of power to the speaker (at a 45 degree phase shift), it will heat up like it’s delivering 400 W."

http://audiojudgement.com/speaker-impedance-curve-explained/

They don't always "need" all 1200w that they can handle. Better off to have the 1200-1400 on tap for headroom than to be constantly dumping it into these SQ drivers. You have to be careful with dumping lots of current into low BL drivers on the higher frequencies in the 40-50Hz region. Lots of current will flow but the coil is not moving enough to adequately cool itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I would think that amp should be okay. I'm not too familiar with DD amps but I would think it's well suited for your application.

What would you recommend me doing to correct this heat issue?

My goal was to power these with the recommended 1200rms after break in..

But with the heat on only 750rms theres no point to add more power.. 

If I drop the rms below 750 then there’s no point in having these drivers or this amp..

You have a large(ish) sealed enclosure designed to give you bandwidth and efficiency, which is great for the low BL and Qes/Qts of that driver. It offers bandwidth and extension, not maximum power handling ability. But it sounds like it's doing what it was designed to do, you said you liked the output and extension in your earlier post. I'm not sure why people insist on dumping more watts into their drivers than is necessary, lol.

I guess if you want that type of setup you could throw a port in each side and throw some ultimax drivers in. They'll stand up to the abuse a little better than the HO/HF drivers will.

This enclosure is ported.. The drivers fire forward while the ports fire to the rear.. 

This enclosure is also designed for 1200-1400rms..

The loudness and extension is great. But I’m  only giving it the 750 and dealing with a ton of heat.

Purchased the m1d specifically for this application.. 

I’m wanting to give the power this entire setup was designed to handle and not deal with excessive heat.. 

Sorry about that, I didn't realize. It looked like a big sealed enclosure from the pics.

This would drastically change everything I mentioned above (please disregard it) and your only actual thermal issue would be at or near the tuning frequency where you have minimum cone motion. You'll still have a reactive impedance profile to deal with but it shouldn't be all that bad.

You're certain about the amount of real-world power being delivered? Sounds like that DD can muster up almost a full 2K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.