Dan Wiggin's (Adire Audio) rules for Car Audio

"Don't Wanna Hear It

At the risk of offending or rousting every AS&S reader, I’m gonna tell you about something that bugs the donkey out of me. Something that is unnecessary, annoying, and just smacks of bogus non-conformity. And before telling you what it is, I’m gonna tell what I’d like you to do.

At stoplights, turn down your volume.

“Think I’m speaking sacrilege here? Think I’m going against everything this autosound passion and industry stands for? Think I’m advocating safe sound and potentially influencing thousands of you to spend your money on bikes, cell phones, and snowboards rather than amps and subs?

“Maybe. I doubt it.

“I think I’m just capturing the feeling many of us get, even those of us who make our living in this business, when we pull up to a stoplight and some foolio pulls up alongside or behind and has it cranked. At a certain level, I can handle a little thump. A little boom never hurt nobody, particularly when I can boost my volume a little and get over the intruder’s level.

“But this is just it; when we’re listening to music, we’re in a zone, are we not? And we like that zone. We feel comfortable in that zone. It gives us great pleasure to hear music charging at our ear canals in beautiful stereo (and for some of you, surround) separation, all the instruments placed correctly, kick drums poking you in the lower back, hi-hats zinging your ears.

“And man, is it not the most bad-ass feeling to roll 65 MPH down the highway, window down on a warm day, and reach for the volume knob and know there’s more juice for the blasting, without sonic break-up or cone flapping?

“So why do certain folks feel they need to violate my musical zone at a stoplight? At highway speed, cranked is fine. Cranked is great. Cranked is necessary. At a stoplight, no one’s moving. The ambient noise level drops. So too should your need for volume. And there’s only one reason anybody cranks at a stoplight, and it is to say: ‘LOOK AT ME EVERYONE! FEEL MY SOCIAL REBELLION! HEAR MY GREAT TASTE IN MUSIC!’

“It’s the same impulse that causes you to cruise into the high school parking lot with windows down and blasting. I know, ‘cause I used to do it. But dig this: no one cares about your music. It could be the bangingest, butt-funkiest, feel-good track from Parliament or the sweet sounding snarl of Rage Against the Machin--no one cares.

“All I hear is some yabbo trying to get over my musical pleasure. So turn down the volume at a stoplight. Roll up the windows, drop the highs, and crank the bass if you really feel the need to let the world feel how many watts you’re running. Above all, don’t be some kook that the rest of the world is sitting at the stoplight wishes they could pull out of his car and trample with roadside emergency kits and crossword puzzles.”

Dan Frio--Auto Sound & Security Editor

Auto Sound & Security, September, 2002

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something Quiet and Peaceful

I just wanted to mention that your magazine is great, but I think that Mr. Frio is in the wrong business. Perhaps he should be installing small, quiet small home theater systems for seniors, with defanitley (sic) nothing larger than a 8” sub (wouldn’t want to upset anyone with music or bass, for heaven’s sake!)

“Mr. Frio, your article shouldn’t have been published in AS&S. After reading you (sic) little crap talk article I really wonder if I should purchase your mag again. EVERY other page has serious car audio advertisement, demo cars and regular cars with big speakers and big amps etc. People want what they want and will do as they wish, you my friend should be considering a new career, perhaps needle point or lawn bowling you know something quiet and peaceful, you old timer!!! (Letter published as sent. – Asst. Man. Ed.)

Julian Pertak

pertakj@3web.net

---------------------------

As expected, every fool that gives car audio heads a bad name has weighed in on this one, in reference to a column I wrote a few months ago about turning down the volume. For the record, I reasoned that keeping your system cranked at an intersection stoplight does little to endear you to your community. Ya know, call me square, but if I see Mom and Jr. and Jenny next to me at the signal in their Ford Expedition and I got Snoop on the box, I’ll twist the knob to the left.

Maybe in some of your worlds, it’s cool to blast Snoop’s opinion of the fairer sex into the consciousness of six-year old Jenny (who will later ask, “Mommy, what’s a Bee-Yotch?”). And maybe in some of your worlds, it’s cool to bump down the residential streets of your town at midnight, waking up babies and the old folks who fought a little war a few decades back just so that your sorry ass can listen to Tupac rather than the “Horst Wessel Song.”

And maybe in some of your worlds, it’s the height of criminal fashion to dodge the cops and their decibel meters, not realizing it’s you kooks who’ve brought the heat in the first place. If that’s your world, do me a favor and don’t buy the magazine. Use the $5 towards buying a clue instead. - DF

Auto Sound & Security, December, 2002

PS I have personally seen MC Wiggles perform live in concert!!!

Tempe

I understand that there is some line of courtesy. But it doesnt need to be taken so far as to basically say "dont listen to your system loud unless your on the highway or at db drag". i mean come on. if i pull up to a light with my system blairing and the person next to me dont like it, they can put their window up. now i dont have a system thats gonna shake the persons car next to me (actually i have no subs or sub amp now, its in the mail), and if i did, then i could understand it cause putting the window up wont help. but how many people have a system thats so freakin loud that it would serious irritate a car next to your with the windows up? i cant image theres that many. pretty much my only rule of thumb is to never play my system loud in residencial neighborhoods (day or night). i just dont do that, cause that can be really annoying. and i also never play my system real loud if theres a cop by me, unless he couldnt possible pull me over and i feel like being a dick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

this simply doesn't happen... and no I'm not one of those who really just blast it everywhere...
po-po really won't even stop you in any city I've ever lived in... and any sort of police phone call would basically cause nothing to happen... unless you really were stationary blasting it around in a neighborhood or something...

Come to my neck of the woods and see how often it happens. You would be quite surprised, maybe even amazed at the frequency this happens. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

how many people have a system thats so freakin loud that it would serious irritate a car next to your with the windows up?
you would be surprised... it's not that hard. i have 2 12" Xtants and they will rock the car next to me if i turn it up. you need a $1000+ set-up for it to be loud.

I understand that there is some line of courtesy. But it doesnt need to be taken so far as to basically say "dont listen to your system loud unless your on the highway or at db drag". i mean come on. if i pull up to a light with my system blairing and the person next to me dont like it, they can put their window up. now i dont have a system thats gonna shake the persons car next to me (actually i have no subs or sub amp now, its in the mail), and if i did, then i could understand it cause putting the window up wont help. but how many people have a system thats so freakin loud that it would serious irritate a car next to your with the windows up? i cant image theres that many. pretty much my only rule of thumb is to never play my system loud in residencial neighborhoods (day or night). i just dont do that, cause that can be really annoying. and i also never play my system real loud if theres a cop by me, unless he couldnt possible pull me over and i feel like being a dick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Ok, you don't have to have MONSTER BASS to annoy the piss outta someone... let use you as an example, you're at a light and you have no bass, some straight outta the hood, no clue about audio guy pulls up sex to you listening to the SHITTIEST rap song you've EVER hear in your life. He's got tweeters, MY GOD DOES THAT SON OF A ***** HAVE TWEETERS, and then he's also got 2 15" Pyramid Hyper Pro's in a 45hz box without a SSF.... blasting it as loud as he can, which isn't all that 'LOUD', but you know exactly what I'm saying.

IDK about you man, but when my system was down, I could hear that **** with mine and his windows up, and it got in my ear and stabbed my brain with a retard stick.

It's **** like that, that makes me be considerate to others at stoplights, and in residential areas, other than that I pretty much play it as loud as I want, but there are certain times that you just gotta think about others around you. I try not to annoy people, cause I myself HATE being annoyed, esp. by little ****s I don't even know.

Come to my neck of the woods and see how often it happens. You would be quite surprised, maybe even amazed at the frequency this happens. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
My experiences with the B'burg police were actually pretty good, considering my introduction to them was for something far greater than playing my stereo too loud; at the time, I had enough cases of alcohol in back to make Al Capone happy for a year...and had watched us load every last case into it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

I don't play my stereo loud on campus, not to avoid cops, but to avoid everyone else...theft is a bigger concern to me.

ive never got introuble for loud music and i bump it full blast next to cops... duh deaf people drive, so dont say u cant here firetrucks or somethin.. but yea i turn it down a bit at intersections so people dont sit there and stare at me funny

ive never got introuble for loud music and i bump it full blast next to cops... duh deaf people drive, so dont say u cant here firetrucks or somethin.. but yea i turn it down a bit at intersections so people dont sit there and stare at me funny
I hate to bring this up, but it's not your music that's making them look at you funny //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

If you have the right to sit outside my apartment blasting Mike Jones when I'm trying to study for finals, I have as much of a right to alter your vehicle in any way I see fit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.