Damage speakers by gain?

Frankensuby
10+ year member

I'm in Ur F0rumZ
PA
I have an amp that makes 75watts RMS at 4 ohms by 4 channels.

I have 2 sets of speakers that can handle 70 RMS at 4 ohms

If my filters are correctly set, and the crossovers correctly set, is it possible for me to blow up my speakers at full gain?

Also, if I set the amp to full gain, but I never use more that 60% volume through HU, would I be damaging anything, like the amp or speakers?

Im installing these speakers and amp probably tomorrow morning, and I would like to know where I need to set stuff at gain/rangewise.

P.S. - the speakers are the Type R 6.5 components, and Polk MMC525's, both with crossovers.

I have an amp that makes 75watts RMS at 4 ohms by 4 channels.I have 2 sets of speakers that can handle 70 RMS at 4 ohms

If my filters are correctly set, and the crossovers correctly set, is it possible for me to blow up my speakers at full gain?
Depending on the input voltage of your source unit yes, it is possible (and probable) because you will cause the amplifier to clip. The clipping would lead to the speakers being damaged due to the increased power caused by the amplifier clipping.

Also, if I set the amp to full gain, but I never use more that 60% volume through HU, would I be damaging anything, like the amp or speakers?
Again, dependent upon the voltage of the source unit. If the 60% volume level causes clipping with the gain turned all the way up then yes, damage could occur.

Have you read the gain setting tutorial in the amplifier section?

I tried to read the gain setting, but I am bad at this.

As far as the HU output, it says it is 2.2volt preout voltage and 1k ohm? is that the input level I am looking for?

Also, I read the tutorial on http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm and it didn't help either. My Amp has only MIN and MAX setting marks on the gain knobs. No numbers.

Let me just make this simple. Because the speakers are only rated for 70W RMS, you do not need to turn the gain up all the way. At most, you only need 75% of the maximum gain for that power rating. If the speakers were rated for 80W RMS, then yes, you could turn the gain up all the way.

I tried to read the gain setting, but I am bad at this.
As far as the HU output, it says it is 2.2volt preout voltage and 1k ohm? is that the input level I am looking for?

Also, I read the tutorial on http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm and it didn't help either. My Amp has only MIN and MAX setting marks on the gain knobs. No numbers.
you are not going to need numbers simply a digital multimeter which can be purchased from walmart for $10 place the probes on the pos and neg output terminals and turn the gain until you reach the voltage needed which would be determined though the formula in the gain setting tutorial

Let me just make this simple. Because the speakers are only rated for 70W RMS, you do not need to turn the gain up all the way. At most, you only need 75% of the maximum gain for that power rating. If the speakers were rated for 80W RMS, then yes, you could turn the gain up all the way.
And you just proved why you should not be giving advice on anything related to audio.

The gain setting should be set in relation to the voltage input of the amplifier. The amplifier can and will output full RMS power with a gain setting set to anywhere within it's range, depending on the voltage input from the headunit. This means that, depending on the voltage input from the headunit, it can output full RMS power with THE GAIN TURNED ALL THE WAY DOWN. It is not as simple as "if the speakers can handle the full power of the amp, turn the gain all the way up."

You, my friend, are completely wrong. Please refrain from posting any information related to audio.

Frankensuby, do you have or have access to a DMM? While some people don't like the DMM method for setting speakers, it provides good starting point especially for a novice such as yourself.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif to squeak

http://www.bcae1.com

read it and you will be ridiculed much less //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

^ That's what I was going to do, but if I am reading correctly, I still might make my speakers clip.

If I have the crossovers and HPF/LPF setting within a safe zone for the speakers, I won't damage them, will I? Assuming the HU I have doesn't distort till let's say lvl 55 of 62, and I don't push the HU into clip zone.

Which BTW, does anyone know when the Pioneer DEH6800MP starts to clip with the flat EQ on? I barely here distortion till 55 with EQ set to superbass.

Oh ya, I'm not sure if the DMM is the same as they use on car's to figure out voltage to 02 sensors and such. It has a red and black terminal touch handle, with a point on the end. Even if I did, Is till don't understand how I would know what voltage needs to be used.\

And PS, I'm really sorry I am having trouble comprehending this, I'm usually much better with things, but this terminology and math is boggling me.

rOFFLES

ok guys, math check, see how bad I am at basic Algebra...

So, my Amp says it does 75 RMS x 4, so could I say that the total RMS we are dealing with is 300? if so...

300 x 4 = 1200/^2 = 34.64 so....

to get near that I would need... a gain of about 15.5 or so?

15.5 * 2.2 = 34.1

do each channel seperatly
You gotta be sheeting me mang? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/escape.gif.52b661afb17bde1db0e0c7da97e75b38.gif

What's the difference per channel? I'm going to have my Amp set so that channel 1 and 2 or the front set, and channel 3 and 4 is the rear deck. These 2 pair of channels have their own set of subsonic filters, HPF/LPF, gain and Bass boost (which won't be ever used.

You gotta be sheeting me mang? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/escape.gif.52b661afb17bde1db0e0c7da97e75b38.gif
What's the difference per channel? I'm going to have my Amp set so that channel 1 and 2 or the front set, and channel 3 and 4 is the rear deck. These 2 pair of channels have their own set of subsonic filters, HPF/LPF, gain and Bass boost (which won't be ever used.
since you have a 4 channel amp you have 2 gain knobs right? set your knob for the front speakers to give them 75w rms and set the knob for the rear speakers to whatever their rms is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.