cutting plexi

I don't think you want to cut plexi on a table saw.. But, yeah, if you end up doing that you can't use a normal blade.. you will shatter the plexi (or at least I think)..

Your best bet is to scar the plexi with a scarring tool and break it that way (at least that's the way I think you do it, haven't done it in a LOOOOONG while)..

Originally posted by Wkerat Do I need a special blade for my table saw to cut plexiglas?
I've never changed my blade in my table saw...I either use a rip blade or a finishing blade...

It really smells though...I personally hate the smell...its gross...

- Steve

My grandpa sells plexiglass. and i have cut it with a bandsaw... it cuts really easy... the problem is it gets hot and where you have already been it kinda melts back together. do you know how to bend it?

I have no idea how to bend it. I am going to use it on one side of a sub enclosure. I just have no idea how I will cut it so if anyoen knows a way better than the table saw please let me know...

Originally posted by ss3079 I've never changed my blade in my table saw...I either use a rip blade or a finishing blade...

It really smells though...I personally hate the smell...its gross...

- Steve
Is it hard to cut with a table saw?

i have cut plexi glass with a table saw and it worked very well...cut it like butter.... but if you are doing straight lines you put a metal ruler on the glass where you want the cut and run a sharp rasor blade along it a couple of times and then break it....that works.

Originally posted by ricerdude i have cut plexi glass with a table saw and it worked very well...cut it like butter.... but if you are doing straight lines you put a metal ruler on the glass where you want the cut and run a sharp rasor blade along it a couple of times and then break it....that works.
Will that work for 3/4 in plexi?

its scoring...not scaring ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif anyways you could score and break that, but it would be hard.....table saw will work fine, they make acrilic blades for circular saws that they sell at home depot, i have a radial arm saw that i was able to mount the 7.25" cirular saw blade on....if you cant mount it on the table saw, put it in a circular and set a jig....the blades work really well.

If anyone is interested in bending it its very simple, i havent used anything bigger than 1/4" though. WE have some bare wires under a peice of leather type stuff(not really leather) and it bends it realy fast with some coaxing.

Originally posted by ricerdude i have cut plexi glass with a table saw and it worked very well...cut it like butter.... but if you are doing straight lines you put a metal ruler on the glass where you want the cut and run a sharp rasor blade along it a couple of times and then break it....that works.
That works up to 5mm or so...

Now, tell me how you'd snap off 3/4" plexi?

I tried using dremmel, jigsaw, etc... all of'em messes it up... what I did was cut it with a jig, then sand the plexi slowly with a fine sandpaper... Oh, and when cutting, make sure you use lubricating grease specifically for jig cutting...that'd help a tad...

Bending Plexi... if it's a small cylindrical plexi, shouldn't have much problems with a tub of hot water... but with thick plexi, never tried... I remember seeing somewhere that they had to make special vaccumn contraptions just to get the bends in the plexi...

update me should you find out how~//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by paikiah what I did was cut it with a jig, then sand the plexi slowly with a fine sandpaper...
If you have lots of blades marks from the blade of the jigsaw/bandsaw, next time try a fine file to remove them first, then take the sandpaper(180-220 grit) and it will polish things right up.

Is it hard to cut with a table saw?
It cuts like nothing.

- Steve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.