Amplifier Cutting Out, but No Voltage Drop

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mudflap

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
Hi,

I have a Sundown Audio SIA-2500 running 2 American Bass XR's wired at 2 ohms to the amplifier. The amplifier sometimes cuts out randomly for a second here and there at higher volumes and I really doubt its pushing the 2500 watts it's supposed to at 2 ohm (even accounting for impedance rise) because my battery voltage NEVER goes below 14v. I'm only running a 120 amp alternator with an optima red top battery, so nothing special. The acoustics in my truck are terrible, I haven't covered the air vents yet, and etc. so I know it won't sound great, but I really feel like it's missing something.

I have done the big three upgrade with oversized 0 awg wiring and have the subs wired with the same wiring, so the physical wire shouldn't be the problem. However, when I was doing the install, my buddy kept insisting on making the ground to a seat bolt instead of just using a self tapper so I caved. This leads me to suspect a bad ground in the system, but I haven't used a DMM to measure the resistance of the ground. Do you guys think this is the problem? I felt the connection itself in curiousity, but it wasn't hot to the touch. Do you also think a somewhat small self-tapper to the body would be sufficient for this system as a grounding location to the body?

P.S. I used 4 awg ofc wire from my old amp setup to just test out the amplifier when I first got it (which I know is a terrible idea), and it drained the battery a lot more and never really drew more than 100 amps because that is what it was fused at. I understand voltage drop and such causing some of this, but I feel that a properly grounded 4 awg wire shouldn't be doing better than this current wiring I have.

What do you guys think the solution/problem is?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's what I thought it was, but I wanted to make sure it was actually that. I'll get to fixing it when I have the time soon. Thank you guys

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...