Crossover question

Participant count
  • Participant list

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
I made a couple of speaker rings for a guy who had purchased a component set to run an active crossover system, so he let me have the crossovers that he didn’t need. 3500 hz cutoff. I’m going to use them in my brothers car and just purchase some random woofers and tweeters to run on the crossovers. What should I be looking for when matching the woofers and tweeters? Should the sensitivity on the tweeters and woofers be close to the same? wattage at about a 60/40 or 70/30 ratio between woofer and tweeter?

if your new set of speakers are a different ohm or slightly off from originals.....your crossover point will be different than 3500hz with a passive crossover....you cant just throw a random passive crossover on a set of speakers and expect it to work the same.....and most tweets can make your ears bleed at 25 rms......match sensitivity as close as possible if your goin to go this route

Last edited:
you cant just throw a random passive crossover on a set of speakers and expect it to work the same
This is very true. Also worth noting that many components will sound really good but have breakup or some other extreme issues at a certain frequency so a well designed crossover may well be specifically crossing out or notch filtering some really nasty spots that will sound awful if not addressed by the crossover.
Of course you may get lucky or not even notice the difference but be prepared for it to not sound good.

The crossovers are made for 4 ohms with a 3500 hz crossover point. I already have a couple of these goldwood speakers that were planned for a home audio setup, but I went a different route there, so they’re just laying around doing nothing. i already have an old 2 channel amp for him that does 100 rms x 2 also. The sensitivity on the tweeters is quite a bit higher than on these woofers though. 90 db on the woofers and 96 on the tweeter. would be a cheap component system for him if I can make something work.
https://www.parts-express.com/Goldwood-GW-S650-4-6-1-2-Poly-Cone-Woofer-4-Ohm-290-308
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...dymium-Tweeter-with-Steel-Frame-4-Ohm-275-117

your more than likely gonna need a way to attenuate those tweets way down via a DSP or if crossover has a switch (which prolly wont be enough)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.