Crossover Frequency Setting Range?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sman83

CarAudio.com Newbie
Should I set the DSP to the exact ranges recommended below, manufacturers supplied range, with the frequency overlap or should I reign in the frequency's to avoid overlap?

Here's what I'm working with:
Tweeters: 4,500-21k 3/4"
Mids: 45-21k 6x8 with 3/4" tweeter
Mids: 80-20k 3.5" with .5" tweeter
Sub: 30-500 8"

Tweeters and mids are all the same product line.

Thanks in advance.

No overlap, at least not that much. Technically, your midbass tweeters won’t do much, since the midbass speakers will be crossed at 80-4500 approx., then your other tweeters will dedicate above 4500. You can play with the crossovers after that. Having a DSP is a lot of setting and resetting and resetting and resetting to find what works best.

Personally I’d cross the sub over with the 6x8s at 80-100hz, 6x8s with 3.5” and 200-400hz and cross the 3.5” and tweeters crossed over at 4,500hz. That’s based upon the size of the woofers disregarding the fact that they have tweeters, since you’ve got separate tweeters you’ll want to use the 6x8 and 3.5” as if the didn’t have tweeters. What frequencies you’ll end up with will depend upon the location of the speakers, personal preference and what you’re after. In other words they’re a starting point, you’ll want to mess around with them until you like it. As the previous replier said, when crossing over two speakers use the same frequency for the low-pass as for the high-pass. Otherwise you’ll get a 6dB increase in whatever frequencies overlap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...