Critique my Build

DaBigBone
10+ year member

So I used to be huge into the car audio scene a couple years ago, and I'm looking to get back into it. I just recently picked up a 2006 Grand Cherokee so I'm hoping to start my new build soon. Looking for a little advice.

I already know what amp / sub combo I'm going to use, so I'm good there.

My biggest concern is the door speakers and amp. I plan on doing a component setup up front with a co-axial setup in the back. I used to be a big fan of Alpine products, so I was considering going with the Type-R line of door speakers and a PDX.4 amp to power them. Thoughts on that setup? Anything better out there for a similar price?

Thanks guys

well first, welcome....

second... what are you going to be using for your sub stage?

and some guys on here swear by the type r components... some hate them.. personally, i think there are better ones out there for the money.... but to try to just narrow it down to one... is just a PITA, cuz there are so many out there.... what are your goals for this build? SQ/SPL?

well first, welcome....
second... what are you going to be using for your sub stage?

and some guys on here swear by the type r components... some hate them.. personally, i think there are better ones out there for the money.... but to try to just narrow it down to one... is just a PITA, cuz there are so many out there.... what are your goals for this build? SQ/SPL?
Thanks for the welcome. I'm going more for SQ

well, you have a WHOLE world of possibilities then, lol...

personally, my favorite SQ components are focals. other good companie to research:

high end

hertz

rainbow

boston acoustics (not their cheap baseline crap)

massive audio ck6 (very nice comps)

lower end

image dynamics

cadence

focal

(and by lower end, i dont mean worse, by any means, just less expensive)

as far as amps go... your going to want to decide on components before the amp, so you can match properly...

are you going to be staging your sound?

EDIT... before anyone jumps on here, getting all butt hurt that i didnt mention "their" favorite component.... these are really just a drop in the barrel bro... the are SOOOO many good sets out there.... these are just ones i've had good experiences with

I've heard excellent things about Focal from a couple people. I'll have to look into them. Any particular models or anything that are better than others?

I wasn't planning on staging. Just going to use stock locations and whatnot

I've heard excellent things about Focal from a couple people. I'll have to look into them. Any particular models or anything that are better than others?
I wasn't planning on staging. Just going to use stock locations and whatnot
the models really depend on personal preference bro... what sounds good to me, might not sound good to you, you know... best bet is to research the companies... and keep in mind the sets sensitivity and power handeling, then once you find a set you like... ask opinions on it.... and dont just take one persons word, like i said... what sounds good to me, could sound like crap to you, and vice versa.

as far as staging, what i meant was... are you goin to be setting up different drivers for different tones (stages) i.e. sub, midbass, midrange, highs

For a similar priced much, better sounding set of components than the type r's I would have to throw the pioneer ts's and Boston Acoustic sc's in there. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think any focal tweeter besides the berylium #7's sound like a$$....but that just me. We all have our opinions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

exactly... OP this is what i meant... what sounds good to me, might sound like ish to ramos, and vice versa... thats why i would suggest finding a model you like, and asking opinions on it, from the collective... best way to find the right driver for you

Best way is to listen for yourself if you can. At the same time though, same components in different installs can sound completely different from one another. Be it a good thing or a bad thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.