Cranky Type-X HELP!

Hey guys, I just joined this site to see if anybody that either works in the audio industry or just knows their stuff better than me could give me a couple pointers. I am having an issue with my woofer cutting out randomly but consistently. It doesn’t matter how long the music has been playing if at all, or how loud it is. I hear a quick bump then it’s gone. It will come back on after about an hour of the stereo and or truck being off. I installed the system about three years ago with no issues until this one approx 6 months ago. I have replaced a couple items including the capacitor and the amp. The amp didn’t fix it so I returned it. I have checked every connection I can think of. The woofer was replaced after it got stolen about a year ago but didn’t have any issues with that for about 6 months. I checked the power wires, the fuse, the back of amp and cap wiring. The remote wire seems fine and tight, the amp stays illuminated when the problem occurs. I cleaned and di-electric greased my grounds but they are to the floor. I even checked the sub box wiring and soldered them. I am hoping it’s not the head unit but it’s the only thing I can think of being left to cause a problem, but again I am not sure how to test it. Any ideas??

My system consists of A alpine cda-9886 head unit, pdx 1-1000 mono block amp, Rockford 1 farad cap, and a type x 12 inch in a 2.02 cf slot ported box.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I need my beats back!

I got the amp set to 0 ohms and the sub im not sure but I got the little bridge plates in to both coils if thats what your talking about.
wait what? how do you set an amp to 0 ohms.

smells fishy, batman

Keegan_Allen_Fish.jpeg

Theres a switch on it that allows you to set 4,2 or 0 ohms
I've never heard of that... sounds kinda like the old high current/high power switches on SS reference amps.

I'd check the impedance of your subs first, you might have them wired too low? I doubt your amp is 0ohm stable, lol.

To check your sub's impedance, you need a Digital Multi Meter or DMM. they're like 5-15 bucks at walmart. Do you know if the amp is going into protect or not? Sounds like your amp is shutting itself off due to some kind of issue. Check your ground, it should be against the body of your car on a spot that's been sanded down. Although this doesn't seem like a grounding issue, it's always good to check.

I have a multi meter. I did check the grounds, I resanded and di electric greased them. Im not sure if its going into protect mode or not the screne on top doesnt tell me ****. But every light stays on.

I have a multi meter. I did check the grounds, I resanded and di electric greased them. Im not sure if its going into protect mode or not the screne on top doesnt tell me ****. But every light stays on.
Google how to check sub impedance with a dmm ... Simple set it to ohms .. Test each coil to check ur woofer .. To check what it's running at just grab the reading from wires commin outta box see what u come up with .. And op see if ur amp is 2 or 1 ohm stable then make sure ur not under that if ur not then shitt ... Hate to say it but prolly need a new amp or headunit

That amp only runs at 4ohm or 2ohm, unstable at anything lower. The only settings on that amp are the input gain knob, the input gain selector, the LP filter knob and the subsonic filter switch. You need to see what that X sub's ohm impedence is, you could be wired to 1 ohm or less.

And when your amp cuts out is it warm to the touch ??
It gets hot sometimes but it doesnt usually matter if its hot or not. It will randomly not work or cut out when ive been playing it at a low volume or even not playing at all 0 volume and i will hear the thump of it cutting out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.