Cool new part for Sundown Z v.2

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
This part is a spacer / shorting ring / heat-sink for our upcoming Z v.2 model subwoofer. These are made right down the street from us here in Troutman, NC at a family owned machine shop. Great guys down there... they also did our aluminum Nightshade v.1 pole plugs.

Just got these in... testing so far has not included them but they will be standard on production models.

A few pictures :

CIMG3068.JPG

CIMG3070.JPG

CIMG3071.JPG

Should I powder coat them or leave them raw aluminum color ? I like the raw aluminum look myself.

Thought I would share - I'm excited to see all my new parts coming together for the new line!

At least I know it's not just me that likes the raw look //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Aluminum looks great. How much a benefit will you get from these?
It is primarily a shorting ring and a spacer (I will post pictures of why I need a spacer when that part is done) -- a shorting ring stabilizes eddy currents and reduces inductance. Jon over at AE speakers is a big believer in them at writes alot about them on his site :

http://www.aespeakers.com/Apollo.php

He takes it another step and also uses a copper pole sleeve -- I didn't do that with this driver due to the necessity of widening the gap and losing some motor force.

The heat-sink gain, IMO, is not tremendous... but is another bonus of having aluminum near the coil.

It is primarily a shorting ring and a spacer (I will post pictures of why I need a spacer when that part is done) -- a shorting ring stabilizes eddy currents and reduces inductance. Jon over at AE speakers is a big believer in them at writes alot about them on his site :
http://www.aespeakers.com/Apollo.php

He takes it another step and also uses a copper pole sleeve -- I didn't do that with this driver due to the necessity of widening the gap and losing some motor force.

The heat-sink gain, IMO, is not tremendous... but is another bonus of having aluminum near the coil.
Nice, Jacob. I love the raw look.

Have you considered using a shorting ring under the top plate, as opposed to a sleeve, so that you don't have to widen the gap?

looks great jake, i say send them out for hard coat anodizing. will look the same just wont corode and dull in a couple months.

are you putting a collar under the spiders and need that extra clearence?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.