Connecting remote wire for powered sub?

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
When I installed my after market HU (using a PAC harness), the directions had me connecting 4 blue and blue/white wires together (see image below). The 2 blue wires appear to relate to the antenna and the two blue/white wires to the amp turn on. So now that I want to install the sub, I have ZERO idea how to make the remote on connection. I figure there are about four possibilities:

-tie the blue wire from the powered sub to this entire bundle (so five wires together)
-tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the blue/white from the Sony HU
-tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the blue/white from the PAC
-tie the blue wire from the powered sub both blue/whites (from the PAC and the Sony HU)

In all cases, I imagine the remaining wires would be bundled together. Does anyone have any idea how this is supposed to work? Thanks.

Last edited:

huberoy123

Nov 6, 2013
Delaware
1st recommendation: tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the blue/white from the PAC.
2nd recommendation: tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the remote blue/white from the Sony HU

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
just tap into the fuse panel

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
Does the Sony XAV also have a power antennae output, BLUE wire? If so use that with the metra 40 and the PAC power antennae instead of the remote turn on

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Then you can use the blue/white remote wire for the PAC amp turn on and your other amp.

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does the Sony XAV also have a power antennae output, BLUE wire? If so use that with the metra 40 and the PAC power antennae instead of the remote turn on
I’m not 100% sure but the diagram did not show a blue wire from Sony. So probably did not have one.

So what does that mean for me again?

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
1st recommendation: tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the blue/white from the PAC.
2nd recommendation: tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the remote blue/white from the Sony HU
In both cases the remaining three wires stay together? FYI, my head unit has a blue white but no blue wire. And, I do have a factory amp if that matter.

huberoy123

Nov 6, 2013
Delaware
Maybe simpler to follow the suggestion of using another source for your sub remote wire. As JRsmoothee suggested, tap into the fuse panel and use a fuse controlled by the ignition switch. Or you can tap the power wire coming from the ignition switch and going to the radio. A wiring diagram should help.
Did you try the power antenna wire? Youtube.com install videos can also be helpful.

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
Maybe simpler to follow the suggestion of using another source for your sub remote wire. As JRsmoothee suggested, tap into the fuse panel and use a fuse controlled by the ignition switch. Or you can tap the power wire coming from the ignition switch and going to the radio. A wiring diagram should help.
Did you try the power antenna wire? Youtube.com install videos can also be helpful.
Thanks. Haven’t tried anything yet. I’m a novice so trying to understand as much as possible before starting. Looked up the fuse box option and looks like I would need a piggy back adapter, which maybe I can grab from an auto part store. The only thing the videos I saw didn’t show is what amp fuse I should be using. And since a wire would now be coming out of the fuse box, I guess I would need to find a way to close the panel.

Last edited:

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
They (Crutchfield) showed the same thing for my Alpine. To use my amp turn on remote for my power antennae. But I used the power antennae out on my head-unit instead. Not sure why Crutchfield does that.

If you wanna follow their instructions you can always use a relay, 4 pin or 5 pin, and power multiple amps.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Can you take a pic of your head-units wiring harness and post it here?

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
They (Crutchfield) showed the same thing for my Alpine. To use my amp turn on remote for my power antennae. But I used the power antennae out on my head-unit instead. Not sure why Crutchfield does that.

If you wanna follow their instructions you can always use a relay, 4 pin or 5 pin, and power multiple amps.
Thanks. You lost me after the first sentence =P

huberoy123

Nov 6, 2013
Delaware
Seems that your second recommendation would save you a lot of guesswork.

2nd recommendation:
tie the blue wire from the powered sub to the remote blue/white from the Sony HU.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005

Attachments

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
In all cases, I imagine the remaining wires would be bundled together. Does anyone have any idea how this is supposed to work? Thanks.
Just clip, tape, and ignore all those blue PAC wires. Wire direct to Sony's blue wire. Those PAC wires are for when you wire to an oem unit that has no remote out.

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
Just clip, tape, and ignore all those blue PAC wires. Wire direct to Sony's blue wire. Those PAC wires are for when you wire to an oem unit that has no remote out.
I SO want this to be the right answer. At this time the four blue and blue white wires are connected together so when you say clip, are you saying cut off the copper so they aren’t really connected (like if I just taped each one off individually)? And this includes the blue wire from the metro 40? Or do I just pull out the blue white from the head unit and leave the others connected as is?

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Or do I just pull out the blue white from the head unit and leave the others connected as is?
The blue wire from the head unit will be connected direct to your amp/sub combo, if you have a retractable antenna, it will also be wired to this same wire. By clip I mean cut off any exposed wire and tape them to prevent them from contacting any ground source. Do not use any of the blue PAC wires and no need to wire them to each other.

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 11, 2020
Fullerton, California
The blue wire from the head unit will be connected direct to your amp/sub combo, if you have a retractable antenna, it will also be wired to this same wire. By clip I mean cut off any exposed wire and tape them to prevent them from contacting any ground source. Do not use any of the blue PAC wires and no need to wire them to each other.
Thanks. Why do I have the urge to just tape all five wires together? Is that suicide?

Anyway will give this a shot tomorrow. I don’t have a retractable antenna but, the metra 40 antenna adapter was part of the required package so it must be doing something? I assumed it was needed so the antenna works at all.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
No, it is not suicide to splice them all in one. All have the same function, which is to provide remote turn on for amps, antennas, eqs, actuators, dsps and any other gadget your imagination may conceive. It does this by sensing the signal that your speaker outputs provide to it. The SAS powered Bazookas had a problem of turning off when playing music on low volume using this method. Luckily the techs provided a bypass as well to use a remote of your choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Latest classifieds