Car Battery Amp Hours - What Is Enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

we87
10+ year member

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS, Computer as HeadUnit, Four SPR-17C Alpine 2-Ways in the doors pushed by a Alpine MRP-F300 amp, and a JL Audio 10w6v2 pushed by a Alpine MRP-M500. My battery is a Super Start Extreme 34/78EXTAGM Yellow Top.

I have had this setup for a pretty long time, except my subwoofer was a JL Audio 10w1v2-4 pushed by the Alpine MRP-M500 at 4ohm which was pulling 300 watts from the amp. I had a slight headlight dim on really strong bass hits when the volume was at the absolute max. I was never really concerned since it wasnt anything major.

However, I recently purchased a JL Audio 10w6v2 wired in at 2 Ohms which is pulling 500 watts from the Alpine MRP-M500 amp and now I get a considerable amount of dimming from my headlights. Now it seems I have a problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I have read that the first step is getting a better battery with a good "Amp Hour" rating. And from what I can read online (there isnt alot of information online about my battery's amp hour ratiing) I think it has 55 Amp Hour rating.

My question is, should I get another battery? Something with a bigger capacity? Or should I get a HO Alternator instead.

Im a little new to the whole electrical part of this and I'm not really sure what the next step should be.

Thanks in advance for any help. Its truly appreciated.

First off I would run 0 gauge wire. Second, wire up "The Big Three". Then buy an extra battery if problem still exists.. You really shouldn't need a HO alternator with your setup, though of course would benefit you. Electrical is very important! You also may want to check to see if your gain is currently set right. After you do some electrical upgrades you will have to also slightly adjust your amp gains too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.