Car Audio System Keeps Killing My Battery

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mr. Mavan01

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
Hello
I’ve had my audio setup for a while now with no issues until last week. Went to leave my house and car won’t start because the battery is dead. Figured I had a bad battery because it was pretty old so I got a new one. Next day battery was dead again.
So I unhooked my 2 amps and jumped my car and got the battery charged back up via the alternator. Car is back to normal so it must be my equipment killing the battery. Why are my amps draining my battery when the car is off? Can anyone help me solve my issue?
Thanks for reading
-Mr. Mavan

Check your amplifiers after the car is shut off. If they are still on, the amplifier turn-on wire may be connected to a constant electrical source. It should be connected to a source that shuts off when the ignition is cut off. Usually, the wiring harness will address this issue unless it was wired incorrectly. Also, check your stereo to make sure it goes off when you turn off the ignition.

If none of the above is causing the problem, then you have something else draining your battery. It's called a parasitic drain. You can check some of the auto forums or youtube.com to see what other folks are doing to troubleshoot this problem.

Also, have your alternator checked. It may not be properly charging your battery. Especially, if you were okay until recently.
Good Luck.

You car stereo isn't going to start draini.g your battery for no reason. If you haven't made any recent changes to your system, then, it isn't your system. It sounds like an alternator problem. Get a cheap volt meter and hook it directly to your battery and put it on your dash somewhere (double sided tape) to see what your alternator is doing. It sounds like you have a continuous drain coming from somewhere when the car is off.

Hello
I’ve had my audio setup for a while now with no issues until last week. Went to leave my house and car won’t start because the battery is dead. Figured I had a bad battery because it was pretty old so I got a new one. Next day battery was dead again.
So I unhooked my 2 amps and jumped my car and got the battery charged back up via the alternator. Car is back to normal so it must be my equipment killing the battery. Why are my amps draining my battery when the car is off? Can anyone help me solve my issue?
Thanks for reading
-Mr. Mavan

I agree with Huberoy123, just chiming in to say if you do find it's a parasitic drain unrelated to the amplifier then something I've done that works quite well is attaching a multimeter between the battery and the ground lead of the battery in 10A amperage mode when the car is off. Pull accessory fuses and put them back until the drain goes away and you've got your culprit circuit. I've had a car with flip up headlights where the motor for rotation was stuck on and that's how I figured it out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.