capacitor for a jbl 1200.1

ericv02
10+ year member

i need a capacitor for my system but i dont know which brand to get. would i need a 1.5 farad for my system? i am running 1 titanium by a 1200.1 would a 1 farad cap work? does the cap brand really matter would a 2 farad legacy or one of those other shitty brands do the trick?

im wondering the same exact thing....im getting an eclipse soon...maybe tommoro...and ill have a 1200.1 and an alarm hooked up to my battery...that owuld kill it...what should i do?? cap?? would that be enough??

i am running around 1200watts rms right now with 2 full farat caps and a brand new 90 amp alt. in my car b/c that is the biggest that would fit without re-working all the crap under the hood. my lights dim and my amp voltage dropped down to like 11.3 yesterday on the voltage read out on my amp so that ****** i'm losing too much power. although i'm getting a batcap wed. in my car i'll let you guy's know if they are worth it how's that sound??/

adam

I was wondering can you put 2 - 1 farad caps in series to get 2 farads, will this work, is it good to do this? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer my 2 full farat caps are in series wired together using bus bars that connect to each cap making them act as 1.

adam
Sorry, what I meant was I was wondering if you can put 2 - 1 farad caps in parallel to get 2 farads? BTW What's the total capacitance of your setup? I think it should be 0.5 farads if you hooked 2 - 1 farads in series.

Originally posted by excelonperu No in series that would be 2 farads, and in parallel that would be half a farad, of course wire them in series!!
You are mixing up capacitor with resistors, when dealing with caps if you connect them in series it's like connecting resisters in parallel so you'd get 0.5 farad from 2 - 1farad caps. If you want 2 farads then you have to connect them in parallel. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer i am running around 1200watts rms right now with 2 full farat caps and a brand new 90 amp alt. in my car b/c that is the biggest that would fit without re-working all the crap under the hood. my lights dim and my amp voltage dropped down to like 11.3 yesterday on the voltage read out on my amp so that ****** i'm losing too much power. although i'm getting a batcap wed. in my car i'll let you guy's know if they are worth it how's that sound??/

adam
Having that low voltage is terrible for both your alternator, and your system. Remember that capacitors do not lighten the load on your alternator. If you cannot fit a larger alternator under your hood, I STRONGLY suggest you get it rewound to something a little higher than 90A. My old JBL 1200.1 alone pulled a maximum current of 114A with a nominal current draw of roughly 90A. If you just add your BatCap your nominal current draw will increase and your alternator will be stressing even more, although your battery may survive a little longer.

it really doesn't drop that low unless i'm listening to like a bass test cd and that's when it hold's the longer bass notes for say 15 seconds or longer of constant bass. other than that it never really drops below around 12.7ish volts. i was only thinking a batcap b/c a buddy of mine who works at a shop was saying it would help stiffen up my system a lot i know it worked for him but i dunno. i will look more into it though.

adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.