cap vs. battery

rookanga
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
flint, MI
sorry another cap vs. battery forum, but heres my question. I have a 1500 amp, merlin us amp md2d, and I have a blue top battery in the basement. What would be better, getting the battery wire and connecting the two batteries together (quick question, were do I put the fuse, between the batteries or between the batteries and the amp(I think it would be the second one but just wondering)) or should I get a cap that is rated for 2500 watts or 3000 watts or something like that, basically way above my amp puts out. So make a long question short, should I just get the battery cable wires and connect my two batteries or get a cap that is rated way above what my amp does? I don't know if this will make any difference but I have a yellow top battery in the front.

Just wondering, is there a reason not to get a capacitor. You made it sound like capacitors are horrible.
the energy storage of a cap is nothing compared the the energy storage of a battery. unless your amp was built cheap and didn't have adequate internal capacitance, you don't need or want capacitors. get a good second battery, then get any power wire connecting to the positive terminal of either battery fused as close as possible. upgrade all grounds, including battery to chassis and engine block to chassis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

rookanga

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
rookanga
flint, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date