System worked for months....then stopped...amp light still green

dirty_73

I bought a second hand system from a friend. Worked great in my explorer until last night when driving home. The subs quit playing.

Specs: One 10" RF punch P3 dual voice coil 4 ohm. The amp is a sony xm-zr604. It is a 4/3 channel amp. The amp is 150x4 at 2 ohm and 300x1 at 4 ohm. Wired with a new 8 gauge memphis wiring kit with monster 14 gauge speaker wire.

The problem is the bass comes on intermittently for 10 seconds or so every twenty minutes. I can adjust the volume the whole ten seconds and it does not effect it. The amp light is green when the subs are not working. The ground is good (under back seat where the seat bolts to body, grinded washer and body down to bare metal and used a proper connector). No fuses are blown at amp or at battery.

I had not taken the sub out of the box yet. I figured it was the dual voice coil 2 ohm version wired in parallel because the amp was bridged to 4 ohm then wired to the box. After taking the cover off the amp and seeing no sighns of a burned out amp I took the sub out of the box. It was wired to only ONE voice coil with what looked like 20 gauge wire that was halfway connected to female connectors. Found out the sub was dvc 4 ohm. Wired it with 14 gauge in parallel at 2 ohm and hooked it up to the bridged amp making the amp 4 ohm. Still no movement from the sub so I hooked it up unbridged to the amp which should have been feeding 150 watts at 2 ohms to that channel with the sub hooked up at 2 ohms. Still no movement of sub.

Sorry for the long post, im completely stumped. Any ideas? Amp nor sub smelled burned. It also hit suprisingly good for a ten hooked up the way it was the first two months.

Well I figured something was definately wrong seeing as the system was slammin and it only had one voice coil hooked up. Also it would not be too hard to blow the amp if I had the gain all the way up with it bridged going to the sub? Seems like the amp specs are underpowered for this sub. Im on a budget right now so no time for a really nice amp. I have a new kicker zx400.1 coming in the mail in the next few days. It is rated at 400 x 1 watts rms at 2 ohm. This should see if the sub still works and I think will be sufficient to power the sub wired parallel at two ohms. What are your thoughts?

Check your Rca's on both ends. If the amp still has a green light your power and ground wire are probably fine. If its not the Rca's then you probably got a blown sub or amp but that seems a little unlikely imo. Check your Rca's on another set of amp/sub's before you scrap your system

I bought a second hand system from a friend. Worked great in my explorer until last night when driving home. The subs quit playing.
Specs: One 10" RF punch P3 dual voice coil 4 ohm. The amp is a sony xm-zr604. It is a 4/3 channel amp. The amp is 150x4 at 2 ohm and 300x1 at 4 ohm. Wired with a new 8 gauge memphis wiring kit with monster 14 gauge speaker wire.

The problem is the bass comes on intermittently for 10 seconds or so every twenty minutes. I can adjust the volume the whole ten seconds and it does not effect it. The amp light is green when the subs are not working. The ground is good (under back seat where the seat bolts to body, grinded washer and body down to bare metal and used a proper connector). No fuses are blown at amp or at battery.

I had not taken the sub out of the box yet. I figured it was the dual voice coil 2 ohm version wired in parallel because the amp was bridged to 4 ohm then wired to the box. After taking the cover off the amp and seeing no sighns of a burned out amp I took the sub out of the box. It was wired to only ONE voice coil with what looked like 20 gauge wire that was halfway connected to female connectors. Found out the sub was dvc 4 ohm. Wired it with 14 gauge in parallel at 2 ohm and hooked it up to the bridged amp making the amp 4 ohm. Still no movement from the sub so I hooked it up unbridged to the amp which should have been feeding 150 watts at 2 ohms to that channel with the sub hooked up at 2 ohms. Still no movement of sub.

Sorry for the long post, im completely stumped. Any ideas? Amp nor sub smelled burned. It also hit suprisingly good for a ten hooked up the way it was the first two months.
im sorry but this has confused me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif so... your amp is 4 ohm stable bridged and your running your sub at 2 ohms? i dont think this would be safe on a sony amp might want to try wiring the subs in series instead to make them it a 8 ohm load or do you have a coil on each bridged channel?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.