Can't tell if my subs are blown, need some help

That is an option OP, if you have the money. Just start with a new system. If you could afford to keep your old stuff when you buy new, you could use some of the new stuff to figure what old stuff is messed up.

There is nothing in the entire thread about paying 160 dollars. Regardless that is still a rip off for crunch. And yeah I misread on paying 900 dollars for that. It can happen very easily. Either way I think you overpaid since it was a probably a store bought box.

If you can afford to then I would do something else, build your own ported box and DC Audio makes nice subwoofers and I would upgrade to a mono-block amplifier that is 1ohm so you can buy a set of D4 and run them at 1ohm.
No I hadn't mentioned 160 at all prior to that. And you're all good man, no worries. That's what I've been thinking of doing, getting the DCs and then building my own box for it. Do you guys have any recommendations on amps and box blueprints (including tuned Hz, as I've only heard prefab ported boxes before so I really have no idea what the "best" frequencies to tune a box to are)? Thanks guys

And then sell what works.
I'll probably just keep what I have currently as memorabilia/usable parts for future builds. I can't imagine I would get enough money from someone to account for the sentimental value lol, I'll see what I can do once I get everything for my new subs figured out though

No I hadn't mentioned 160 at all prior to that. And you're all good man, no worries. That's what I've been thinking of doing, getting the DCs and then building my own box for it. Do you guys have any recommendations on amps and box blueprints (including tuned Hz, as I've only heard prefab ported boxes before so I really have no idea what the "best" frequencies to tune a box to are)? Thanks guys

did you say you needed box blueprints? 👋

I'd start with listening to less shitty music and see if that helps.

If you push on the cones do you feel any friction or hear any crunching?

I think they sound blown, but tough to tell from a video.
And you talk **** about my post. You just painted yourself into a corner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks. Makes it very easy for me now

And you talk **** about my post. You just painted yourself into a corner as far as I'm concerned. Thanks. Makes it very easy for me now
I don't see the parallel between that post and some of yours. You seldom include anything productive.

I have them wired as their own circuit themselves (ex- + and - of channel 1 to one sub, + and - of channel 2 to the other sub). They're single voice coil subs. I didn't wire them myself since I bought the subs, amp, and enclosure all from my brother's friend and I didn't know **** about car audio at the time other than that I wanted some subs.
Believe me, I'd like to upgrade everything which I was going to do about three years ago but I got scammed out of $900 lol :( . Another thing stopping me is that with my stock alternator I don't know how much more power it can handle without both of my amps constantly kicking into protect mode.
I was planning on getting some DC audio level 1 12s (i was going to get dual 4ohm subs, but they also offer dual 2ohms as well and it seems you know more about wiring for impedance than I do, so which do you recommend given my current amp?)
Also, if you were to say whether the problem is the amp or subs, are you thinking it is the subs at this point? (if it had to be one or the other). By the way, I wanted to thank you for all the help you given me thus far
Well, by the description as stated,.. sounds to me like you have the subs wired at a final 2 ohm load of which the amplifier is stable at . Just doesnt seem as though you have enough power for the subs to actually do the work they are intended at theyre potential, let alone the proper box built for them .
I myself would look at getting the Big 3 done first, and look at utilizing what you have till you get some funds saved to better support what you have now. Just my suggetions as followed::
#1- Get the Big 3 done in 0ga OFC(look at a future AGM battery,, the largest that you can fit under the hood the better)
#2- Look at a decent Sub amp replacement with more power at the 2 ohm stable area of 500-1000 watts RMS or better and up to 2000 or 3000 watts RMS at 1 ohms for future Sub ugrades.
#3- Id Use the subs you have now, temp. and run those on the new sub amplifier as they are for now and ,either decide to spend some funds on building a decent ported enclosure for those and see if they will work for you , or go all out and just spend the funds on the new enclosure and new 600-1500 RMS subs.
#4- Look at adding another AGM battery in the future for supply needs,and possibly an HO Alternator if needed.
Thats me.. Run what I have, and use what I have till I get the funds for the upgrades when I could.
There is no shame running at a 2 ohm stable load on sub duty with decent power, and subs and a well designed tuned enclosure, that can hit some really nice clean lows. I did in my CRV on a pair of heavy tens in a 4.0Cu Ft enclosure tuned at 32 HTZ on approx 1700 rms that I did all I could to keep the roof from rippling a crease in it.
My apologies upon the late reply. Been a little busy

You never spoke or gave any information about your vehicle, power supply and battery?? That helps out to make some decent suggestions for you also.
Looks like you have quite a bit of room to work with within the Vid. But how much room are you actually willing to give up for a well built tuned enclosure ?? Four Tens? Two Tens, Two Twelves? One heavy ten, 12 or 15 Ect. Subs up port up, Subs up Port Rear ect.

You never spoke or gave any information about your vehicle, power supply and battery?? That helps out to make some decent suggestions for you also.
Looks like you have quite a bit of room to work with within the Vid. But how much room are you actually willing to give up for a well built tuned enclosure ?? Four Tens? Two Tens, Two Twelves? One heavy ten, 12 or 15 Ect. Subs up port up, Subs up Port Rear ect.
I drive a 2012 Honda CRV, have a stock electrical system. My 4 channel amp is a Soundqubed S4-100 and I have Sony XS-GS1621's along with the 2 way component system of the same speaker series. As for space, I never dare to put anything in my trunk as my bass is far too important to me, so I have quite a bit of space to work with since I can utilize the entire trunk space. My plan was to get a ported box for two 12s with subs up port back (I've heard Steve Meade say that this is what you want if you drive an SUV). My headunit is a Sony XS-GS1621.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.