Can you mount just 1 sub in a dual box?

CplCuddles

Certified Meme Warrior
So I'm going to be upgrading to 18s soon. But with X-18s being $680/each I'm probably going to buy them one at a time. My question is could I buy one, mount and play it without hurting it? I figure it would come down to whether I'm doing a shared chamber or separate, which is preferred? Box will be ported.

So I'm going to be upgrading to 18s soon. But with X-18s being $680/each I'm probably going to buy them one at a time. My question is could I buy one, mount and play it without hurting it? I figure it would come down to whether I'm doing a shared chamber or separate, which is preferred? Box will be ported.
sure it's been done but like u said if u do separate chambers and ports thats fine.. idk if u wanta run 1 of them in say a 16-20cf ad box.. if it'll be a while b4 u get 2nd one i'd do separated box 2 ports or a single box.. what amp u gonna use?

* B Stock * Sundown Audio Zv5-18 2000W Zv5 Series - Car Audio Bargain
Mis we’ll get a zv5 18 for that price. U can do what u want to do. Either have a separate chamber box or if u have a common chamber box just plug the other sub hole up, I’ve done it plenty of times in between system and just needed some bump so I put one woofer in and plugged other holes
I would get a Zv5, but I just am nervous about a few things about it. Mainly that it might not have the low end that the X does. I'm gonna be tuning at 28hz because my fave bass is like 20-30hz. Also that I won't have enough power to really make them move.

sure it's been done but like u said if u do separate chambers and ports thats fine.. idk if u wanta run 1 of them in say a 16-20cf ad box.. if it'll be a while b4 u get 2nd one i'd do separated box 2 ports or a single box.. what amp u gonna use?
SCV-6000d

I would get a Zv5, but I just am nervous about a few things about it. Mainly that it might not have the low end that the X does. I'm gonna be tuning at 28hz because my fave bass is like 20-30hz. Also that I won't have enough power to really make them move.

SCV-6000d
No, get the zv5, its better all around even with low end with better efficiency than the X. There is no reason to choose the X over the ZV5 at that price, really dumb move to buy the X over the Zv5 in both overall loudness and extreme lows.

If you want to run 1 sub in a box sized for 2 shared chamber you will lose a bit of mechanical power handling thus you would need less power to bottom out the sub.

If you do split chambers you can run full power to a single sub while waiting on the 2nd. Plus if you want to get fancy you can use relays to switch from 1 sub to 2 for demo purposes

X's are really that pricey? wow. Thought they were around the 400-500 range...

OP my suggestion is that if you're going to just buy them one at a time and don't know when you'll be able to buy a second one would be to build a box just for one.

Rather have the ability to get the full potential from a sub with a proper box over putting it in something that could cause harm to it. Especially at that price point.

Or if you already have the box built, let us know what the volume of the box and the port you're dealing with so we can see if its too big.

Even with 10+ cubes you could still be fine if you're not throwing a bunch of power at it.

Oh wow just saw you're going to have a 6k amp.

6k on a pair of x's would be great but I think the z series would be better suited with that power.

Read somewhere that after about the 2500 rms mark, the z series will start to take over in terms of performance and I think it was quite significant.

No, get the zv5, its better all around even with low end with better efficiency than the X. There is no reason to choose the X over the ZV5 at that price, really dumb move to buy the X over the Zv5 in both overall loudness and extreme lows.
I would love to see the specs of the Zv5, that would make me feel a lot of better probably. But sundown hasn't released them..?

X's are really that pricey? wow. Thought they were around the 400-500 range...
OP my suggestion is that if you're going to just buy them one at a time and don't know when you'll be able to buy a second one would be to build a box just for one.

Rather have the ability to get the full potential from a sub with a proper box over putting it in something that could cause harm to it. Especially at that price point.

Or if you already have the box built, let us know what the volume of the box and the port you're dealing with so we can see if its too big.

Even with 10+ cubes you could still be fine if you're not throwing a bunch of power at it.
I would be less concerned honestly if it were me building said box. I have 0 carpentry knowledge or tools. After I get the amp and first sub I'm going to finish electrical upgrades and then get the second. I'm going to try to do this all as quick as possible. I don't wanna pay 2 huge premiums for boxes. And honestly I don't want my local shop to build my final box. While they are not bad, they arnt anything special either. How is shipping on a custom box? Prob close to 20cuft total

are you dead set on the 2 18's?

if you are a little open there might be better options that will be less money.

you could look into 4 15's and if you shop around a bit you may be able to get decent 15's for less than the 2 18's.

I would love to see the specs of the Zv5, that would make me feel a lot of better probably. But sundown hasn't released them..?

I would be less concerned honestly if it were me building said box. I have 0 carpentry knowledge or tools. After I get the amp and first sub I'm going to finish electrical upgrades and then get the second. I'm going to try to do this all as quick as possible. I don't wanna pay 2 huge premiums for boxes. And honestly I don't want my local shop to build my final box. While they are not bad, they arnt anything special either. How is shipping on a custom box? Prob close to 20cuft total
If that's the case then I would look local. Possibly craigslist or something like that could work.

Heck my first box was 100% cut by home depot. It was 10 cents per cut and they did everything. All I had to do was put it together.

That could be an option.

If that's the case then I would look local. Possibly craigslist or something like that could work.
Heck my first box was 100% cut by home depot. It was 10 cents per cut and they did everything. All I had to do was put it together.

That could be an option.
Not a bad idea actually, would save many monies

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']680 each?! Wtf pays that much!!

Can tell ya right now I paid 550 for both my subs, shipped to my doorstep.[/QUOTE]

Where tf did you buy yours?

[quote name='shredder2']I would love to see the specs of the Zv5, that would make me feel a lot of better probably. But sundown hasn't released them...

I think I've got them... parameters and specs as well... lemme know if I can help... I'm not able to do it at this moment.... I'm on my cell

Ok... try post 17 of this thread...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/634773-zv5-10-xv2-10-a-2.html

Is that what you need?... @CplCuddles[/QUOTE]

That actually is what I was looking for. According to WinISD they are basically the same sub. I put them in the same box on the same power, and the lines are almost perfectly aligned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.