can this be sealed?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mgaidica
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
heres my idea, somewhat practical. No measurements yet but thats an inch thick fiberglass, and those two angled peices on the side are for the two jbl amps. (are the 80.4 and 600.1 the same size?) Can this box be sealed or do fiberglass's have to be ported? (i have only seen then ported) Thanks.

There should be no issues sealing fiberglass..

I don't think you will need to go 1" thick though.. fiberglass is stronger than wood.. if 3/4" wood works, you won't need the fiberglass to be that thick...

There is a bit of a discussion going on about how thick a glass enclosure needs to be, more specifically, what type of glass to use (matt, fabric, etc etc)..

You planning on making that yourself or having someone do it for you? And why fiberglass?

my friend has some like 16" by 12" or something. I just thought it would be cool. I'll be doing with some help, but not really from anyone more knowledgable than me. If it doesnt work out, o well, i spent 15 bucks on some board. I was thinking putting a couple mirrors and clue lights inside there. Thats a very ruff sketch but if i do go through with it ill make it much better. what do you think?

Originally posted by mgaidica my friend has some like 16" by 12" or something. I just thought it would be cool. I'll be doing with some help, but not really from anyone more knowledgable than me. If it doesnt work out, o well, i spent 15 bucks on some board. I was thinking putting a couple mirrors and clue lights inside there. Thats a very ruff sketch but if i do go through with it ill make it much better. what do you think?
What do you mean 'has some 16" x 12" . `? you mean he has some fiberglass sheets like that? cause I seriously doubt it.. that's not how fiberglass is normally used, it's form-fitted as you build stuff with it (doesn't have to be, mind you, but normally you layer glass with resin and build up the 'box').. He might have plexi-glass (clear plastic sheets).. that can be use to allow you to see in a box by placing the plexi in a hole (cutout something and put the plexi in that spot instead of wood).. not the easiest thing to do, but not too bad.. Just have to be careful...

Anyway, the design looks like it might be cool.. won't know till you get started ...

sorry, i wasnt very specific, well I THINK, from what he tells me (?) its a somewhere around 16x1x12. i'm not sure where he got it or anything. I think it may have previously been in a box or something, but im not sure. I just thought it would be fun to expiriment with it. I'm not sure, everything would have to fit right but if i could pull it off and put a couple of blue lights maybe 2 mirrors or so i think it would be awsome. Thanks.

You are talking about plexi-glass, not fiberglass.. fiberglass isn't really clear and won't do you any good as far as being able to use mirrors and lights.. You can build a box from MDF and cut a whole for the plexi (so you can have mirrors/lights inside if you wanted)..

but, even to answer the question if it was based on plexi.. yes, you can have a sealed box with a plexi window in it, no problems //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hope that helps..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.