Can quality 0/1 ofc be ram from starter to battery?

It depends on the starters.

Most OEM starters hover around 1200 watts to 1400watts. You can get away with 4 gauge no problem. Just know that extended start cycles is going to warm the cable up. Not dangerous melting range but it will be noticeable to the touch.

Aftermarket starters I have seen climb to 2200 watts (3.0HP, Tilton and Powermaster). Those you definitely need 1/0.

It depends on the starters.

Most OEM starters hover around 1200 watts to 1400watts. You can get away with 4 gauge no problem. Just know that extended start cycles is going to warm the cable up. Not dangerous melting range but it will be noticeable to the touch.

Aftermarket starters I have seen climb to 2200 watts (3.0HP, Tilton and Powermaster). Those you definitely need 1/0.
100 percent ********

100 percent ********

Which part?

The 2200 watt power rating? From Tilton directly.

or you mean the 1.2k-1.4kw power rating of OEM? This is on average.

As an example, BMW M5 (18) use a 1.6kw starter (higher than the range i posted)

From an 93-98 2j Supra, 1.4kw.

Now if you are implying the ******** is the wiring size

1400watts at 11v will be about 127 amps... Not including the initial inrush current (in the ms range) which is 2x or 3x for inductive motors. Unlike Amplifiers playing music, this is a sustained amperage with pulses due to compression on each cylinder.

For short runs won't matter but for trunk mount batteries. 4 AWG will get warm. If you are cranking more than 6 seconds to start the car. Get a better tune. I have ran the starters for 15 seconds while setting up initial ignition timing without any issues. Length of 4awg was 9 feet to a trunk mounted battery.

for the 2200 watts starters at 11v, that is 200amps sustained. At 9+ feet from trunk. No issues as the car starts within 1 second. 3 seconds in subzero temps.

So you call ********, the math says otherwise.

Which part?

1400watts at 11v will be about 127 amps... Not including the initial inrush current (in the ms range) which is 2x or 3x for inductive motors. Unlike Amplifiers playing music, this is a sustained amperage with pulses due to compression on each cylinder.

For short runs won't matter but for trunk mount batteries. 4 AWG will get warm. If you are cranking more than 6 seconds to start the car. Get a better tune. I have ran the starters for 15 seconds while setting up initial ignition timing without any issues. Length of 4awg was 9 feet to a trunk mounted battery.

for the 2200 watts starters at 11v, that is 200amps sustained. At 9+ feet from trunk. No issues as the car starts within 1 second. 3 seconds in subzero temps.

Love how you went the extra mile to squash a troll. Brings a smile to my face.
Too bad he won't understand it and just say something stupid again. :ROFLMAO:

Which part?

View attachment 34402

View attachment 34403

View attachment 34404

1) Don't take slo ride seriously. He's a troll who only exists for reactions.

2) I believe the question was whether power wire is a suitable replacement for oe style, not about ampacity.

Love how you went the extra mile to squash a troll. Brings a smile to my face.
Too bad he won't understand it and just say something stupid again. :ROFLMAO:

Funny enough. I was known as a troll slayer on Supramania and Supraforums.
1) Don't take slo ride seriously. He's a troll who only exists for reactions.

2) I believe the question was whether power wire is a suitable replacement for oe style, not about ampacity.

As long as it is OFC copper with enough strands to be flexible for your application, the sizing big enough to not be to much a voltage drop concern and the jacket of said cable can withstand the temperature it will see... full send the puppy.

Welding wire
Audio power wire
mil-spec wire
Etc

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...