Can a crossover damage a tweeter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

orphe
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Houston
Its the damnest thing. My infinity tweeter on the passenger side stopped working and i was like aww crap just replace it with a cheap $20 for now. well I did and i didn't hear anything come out of it.

So i used a set if Memphis tweets that I had laying around and STILL nothing. So I took it out, and did a test with a aa battery for a ll three to see if anything was coming out of it. Nope. So now Im down to one tweeter and did a test on it and it works just fine. but Im too scared to hook it up because Im thinking the Crossover is the cause.

Has anyone ever heard of a crossover damaging a tweeter or speaker?

also (and this is a long shot) can the tweeters be fixed or are the just gone?

I have never heard of this before, but an amp that defective may be sending voltage out that channel. I would have the amp checked first.

Tweeters are usually junk if they are blown. Some of the high end tweeters have replaceable voice coils though.

Is this from a passive component set or are you running the tweeters active ?? are you powering the tweeters with an amplifier ??What do you have your tweeter crossover setting ??
1. passive

2. amp to crossover then to tweeters for high frequencies and to mids for lower frequencies.

3. +6db

Check your wiring ... you may have a short in the cable lead going to that particular tweeter
Checked wiring and its all good

from the crossover to the tweeter

from the crossover to the mid

and from the amp to the crossover

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.