Burp box...

OK... this will be what I go with... subs mounted normally and tuned to 46 hz... tomorrow I'll finish it...

qNSTDv.jpg

It's a little on the small side for me... but it IS a burp box and peaks out modeled at 50 or so...

OK... this will be what I go with... subs mounted normally and tuned to 46 hz... tomorrow I'll finish it...
qNSTDv.jpg

It's a little on the small side for me... but it IS a burp box and peaks out modeled at 50 or so...
2Jc1nZ.jpg

I wouldnt try music at all unless you know for sure it doesnt go any lower than XXX hz. playing music on a burp box will stink up coils real quick if played below tuning.

Might I recommend a square port for efficiency along with it easier to make into a removable port. I wouldnt go slot for burps since its a lot harder to modify and a lot less efficent than a square port.

This is what i'm talking about.... You can screw the port in and out from the sides and all you need to build is just the port. You can also start with higher airspace and then shrink the box down as well. Better than too small and having to rebuild.

JubUDl.jpg

I wouldnt try music at all unless you know for sure it doesnt go any lower than XXX hz. playing music on a burp box will stink up coils real quick if played below tuning.
Might I recommend a square port for efficiency along with it easier to make into a removable port. I wouldnt go slot for burps since its a lot harder to modify and a lot less efficent than a square port.
Still up... huh? West coast time I guess... I'll drop it in and burp it... NO MUSIC... LOL!... I don't trust myself and I don't know how much power I have... it's already designed, cut and marked out... so I guess I'll try the slot port... 66 in2 is the most area I could come up with and still have any net airspace... so once again I'll try and try again I'm sure... if I do redo it it'll have an aero the next time... this is an experiment to see how much the box/cabin affects SPL... I might be grinning or not afterward... 148+ would be nice...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

This is what i'm talking about.... You can screw the port in and out from the sides and all you need to build is just the port. You can also start with higher airspace and then shrink the box down as well. Better than too small and having to rebuild.
JubUDl.jpg
Cool... I had my 4th order the same way 10 years ago... but it WAS picky... L7 10's and a Hifonic "1600" watt amp didn't help... It might be easier to tune a ported box as I am more comfortable with making changes... I'm still learning and re-learning... this disability is a b*tch...

My blazer always peaked around 49 Hz. Subs and port back. 2 audiopipe 15s on a audiopipe 2500.1 got me a 148.6 outlaw, box was 10 cubes at 30hz. Daily build.
That's a GOOD score... I'm tuned daily to 30 hz but that box has got me stuck at 146.5 at 35 hz... I did not even try 50 hz with that box... I'll stay with my daily but throw this one in just to see... I hope to see a much bigger number... Everyone says Blazers love 50 hz... Well I'm tuned to 46, it models out peaking at 50... I guess I'll build it and see...

That's a GOOD score... I'm tuned daily to 30 hz but that box has got me stuck at 146.5 at 35 hz... I did not even try 50 hz with that box... I'll stay with my daily but throw this one in just to see... I hope to see a much bigger number... Everyone says Blazers love 50 hz... Well I'm tuned to 46, it models out peaking at 50... I guess I'll build it and see...
Yea you'll have to play with it some. To ear, 38ish was loudest, but on the meter it was 48-51 ish... weird for sure. It wasn't bad for a super budget setup. If I had built a burp box it would have been a 150. I would run a sweep on your current setup and see what it peaks at.

Hell that was 10 years ago hahaha. Ran audiopipe cause I got it at wholesale, and had a 1yr no questions asked instant replace warranty haha. Oddly enough once I got into their more expensive stuff I never blew anything. Had that setup for 4 years in 2 diff vehicles. I still have a buddy running his same audiopipe setup from 9 years ago.

I had a whopping 600 into it all brand new, subs, amp, box, deadener, upgraded alt lol. I was a happy high school kid.

You're saying that the subs will "see" a longer port?... How can that be modeled?... port center is 13.25" plus 2.125" to exit into the box?.. Did I do that right?... or is it something I'll pick up with time?
The sub will "see" the port basically the length you have drawn on there now without that extra piece. Typically you add half a port width to what it looks like if it's straight but from my experience ending it right at a corner makes it act even longer.

SOOOOO much easier to make the port way too big and too short and make it longer or shrink area.

Yea you'll have to play with it some. To ear, 38ish was loudest, but on the meter it was 48-51 ish... weird for sure. It wasn't bad for a super budget setup. If I had built a burp box it would have been a 150. I would run a sweep on your current setup and see what it peaks at.
Hell that was 10 years ago hahaha. Ran audiopipe cause I got it at wholesale, and had a 1yr no questions asked instant replace warranty haha. Oddly enough once I got into their more expensive stuff I never blew anything. Had that setup for 4 years in 2 diff vehicles. I still have a buddy running his same audiopipe setup from 9 years ago.

I had a whopping 600 into it all brand new, subs, amp, box, deadener, upgraded alt lol. I was a happy high school kid.
I DID sweep my current system and 35 was peak... It's a S-10 Blazer and I guess they hate low tuning for SPL... the number I hit was OK for a pair of 12's but I want more... I might put the burp box about 5" in front of the amps with the back seats down and find a way to "wall" it off above the amp rack/box... removable of course... That will really decrease cabin size... heck... it'll be like a small double cab truck then... as is now my daily is very enjoyable as it goes mid-low 20's strongly but it don't REALLY hit numbers... it's loud though... a 28 hz note at 144-5 will get you looks... but right now that Termlab hates my car... LOL!

The sub will "see" the port basically the length you have drawn on there now without that extra piece. Typically you add half a port width to what it looks like if it's straight but from my experience ending it right at a corner makes it act even longer.
SOOOOO much easier to make the port way too big and too short and make it longer or shrink area.
I get it now... unfortunately that port wall got built late last night... if I cut another port wall I'd have to buy more material as I did build it from scraps...

7WSxxlB.jpg

I'm going to try it next time when the port has a really short 90 on the end...

I get it now... unfortunately that port wall got built late last night... if I cut another port wall I'd have to buy more material as I did build it from scraps...
7WSxxlB.jpg

I'm going to try it next time when the port has a really short 90 on the end...
You're going to be tuned around 40hz when this is done I suspect. Give it a whirl with some old school rap (NWA, 2 live crew) or some Sabbath or pre-haircut Metallica and see how you like it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.