Burp box...

shredder1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
AZ
I said recently that I would NOT do this...but... LOL!.. Today I took stock of all the materials I have laying around so I tried to come up with something that I could throw in the Blazer and MIGHT hit a good # for the next bassmeet... I was told to tune around 42-44 hz with some port area... without trying to ask for advice I sat down and used the 4 e@ 37.5" x 16" x .75 MDF pieces I had on hand and tried to come up with something that will yield about 4 ft3 net and tune to 42-44... I came up with a 3.8 ft3 which I'll invert the subs to net around 4.1 ft3... the limitation is my thinking of course and materials... I'm trying to minimize cuts and use what I have on hand... space in the vehicle is not an issue... I'll just swap subs from the current box then plop it in on top of the box or on top or the backseat... LOL!... this is what I came up with...

lJyEIo.jpg

and since the subs will be inverted I added about .3 ft3 when I modeled it... and modeled it at 4.1 ft3 with the same port...

P1Zqt4.jpg

Xr3m0a.jpg

CU9SBJ.jpg

As you can see I made some compromises when figuring port area to stay near 4 ft3 net... It looks like I'll start to see compression at 2200 watts... The material on hand limited me a lot so I did the best I could... and modeling in Winisd is new to me... this compression will affect me how?.. should I just go for it?...

Opinions welcomed as this Winisd is new to me... thanks in advance...

U046Ta7.jpg

Does it look like the layout will be a problem?

Advice.. Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not add the 90 degree coming off the inside port wall. Port length will be long enough due to loading along that wall.
It looks like if I do that it'll change tuning to 47 hz... I was told that 42-44 hz is the best bet and the same guy predicted what I would hit yesterday and what frequency I'd be loudest at... exactly... It was scary accurate... LOL!.. are all the 45's necessary/helpful?.. or only in certain corners...

y7bgek.jpg

Do I want to play with tuning?... or stick with 43 hz?... The pieces are all cut and beveled...

A burp box for.....daily or bassmeets? I would put it in place of your current sub enclosure, for better/best results.
Just as a different box I could use only for bassmeets... maybe do a higher number... I'm stuck at 146.4 as the cabin peaks at 35 hz with my current box... LOL!..

jHfiHUa.jpg

It looks like if I do that it'll change tuning to 47 hz... I was told that 42-44 hz is the best bet and the same guy predicted what I would hit yesterday and what frequency I'd be loudest at... exactly... It was scary accurate... LOL!.. are all the 45's necessary/helpful?.. or only in certain corners...
y7bgek.jpg

Do I want to play with tuning?... or stick with 43 hz?... The pieces are all cut and beveled...
The port will load along that back wall. It will act longer than it looks. If I'm wrong it'll be super easy to glue that piece in later, but if I'm right you will have a bear of a time cutting that port shorter.

Keep the 45 on the corner with the port, I don't see any value in putting them elsewhere.

The port will load along that back wall. It will act longer than it looks. If I'm wrong it'll be super easy to glue that piece in later, but if I'm right you will have a bear of a time cutting that port shorter.
Keep the 45 on the corner with the port, I don't see any value in putting them elsewhere.
You're saying that the subs will "see" a longer port?... How can that be modeled?... port center is 13.25" plus 2.125" to exit into the box?.. Did I do that right?... or is it something I'll pick up with time?

If you wanna meter legal... subs up, port to driver side. 20^2 and tune about 46.

Since you already started on the baffle, sub and port back... for legal metering if you tune around 45, you will should peak 51 sealed and 49 outlaw. Also wanna run alot of port this way.

These are full fledged burp boxes tho. They will not sound good. They will basically play 47-55hz loud

My mistake, looked at baffle again.

Subs up and port back. I had good success in 4.1cu at about 42 for a box that could do both sealed and outlaw #s

If you wanna meter legal... subs up, port to driver side. 20^2 and tune about 46.
Since you already started on the baffle, sub and port back... for legal metering if you tune around 45, you will should peak 51 sealed and 49 outlaw. Also wanna run alot of port this way.

These are full fledged burp boxes tho. They will not sound good. They will basically play 47-55hz loud
Okay... then I'll lose the 2 1/2" piece on the end of the port that'll raise the tuning... leave the 45 behind the port and lose all the other 45's... Oh yeah... I'll have my SSF at 35-37 for sure... It'll be almost a one note wonder... LOL!... also.. if you read the start of the thread I was wondering how bad the compression will affect volume wide open... IDK how much power I have on tap but I'm worried that this might be a factor... or am I worried about nothing?... just open it up and see what happens for 10 seconds?

My mistake, looked at baffle again.
Subs up and port back. I had good success in 4.1cu at about 42 for a box that could do both sealed and outlaw #s
Yes I'll be subs up port back... will 66 in2 of port be a problem... I really don't know how much power I've got... I tried to compromise the best I could...

This might be frowned upon... but i dont pay attention to any of that. I never use winisd. I dont feel its practical for spl, where literally nothing makes sense... i build, test, rebuild, retest etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.