Huge peak where box is tuned at and a 20-30 db drop off after that. Need help.

JonM

I need help. I flipped my box around in my trunk so the port is facing into the car instead of the rear. It got ALOT louder and a ton more sound pressure around where the box is tuned at (37-38hz). But after that there is a massive drop off in bass, maybe 20-40db. Is there anything I can use, like a parametric EQ for bass or something to flatten it out and extend the bass volume to where it used to be? Almost all my songs sound disjointed now with the huge peak and db drop off. Also why did this happen just from turning the box around? Thanks

what are the specs of your box? how big is the port?

a smaller port is probably the best option, as an EQ wont fix that and youll likely end up clipping the rest of the signal you're boosting. otherwise you can try to use a DSP for the best results, it sounds like you have phase reinforcement at those frequencies which is great for spl, but obviously not your taste in music

why did this happen just from turning the box around?
With a degree in fluid dynamics you'd be hard pressed to actually quantify it, though it is consistent with my own experience. Changing box and port orientation in a trunk can be dramatic. Try pulling the box all the way back, pushing it all the way forward, or sealing off the cabin from the trunk.

Also without some measurement equipment (termlab) and comparing response of each box it's really tough to say what is really happening and what your "fix" will be.

I need help. I flipped my box around in my trunk so the port is facing into the car instead of the rear. It got ALOT louder and a ton more sound pressure around where the box is tuned at (37-38hz). But after that there is a massive drop off in bass, maybe 20-40db. Is there anything I can use, like a parametric EQ for bass or something to flatten it out and extend the bass volume to where it used to be? Almost all my songs sound disjointed now with the huge peak and db drop off. Also why did this happen just from turning the box around? Thanks
phase, wave propogation and many other things. push the box all the way back to where the trunk lid is with it firing forward and see any differences. Other than that you'll need to do a trunk wall.

cancellation

so port and sub fire into car? if u make box with slot port on side of box sub front that may work..

box specs:

Height 12"

Width 40"

Depth 24"

Port: slot port in middle 5x14" tuned to 37-38hz

The front of the box has a 2" gap all the way around it it to compensate for 4" coil. I've got the amp rack wtth the hcca amp mounted to the back of the box. The box just barley fits so there's no room to move it around. I had it built and installed professionally. I couldn't find specs on it on the Orion website so I checked out Fatbox. It looks like it's half a qube big and I think the port is too big too, but I'm not sure. I called Orion today but thier closed. Will sealing it off help? At this point I just need it to play more than 5 notes. Also the trunk is sound deadened if that matters. Thanks for the help

cut some 2x4s to the length of your port and put them in there and see what kind of difference it makes, otherwise box placement will be your solution

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.