BURNING RCAs and frying headunits! Major help needed.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

av8ter
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
My friends blazer started doing the engine noise through the subs deal so I decided to do the grounding of the RCAs deal. Fixed the problem for like 5 minutes until we turned the car off then back on again. Engine noise came threw the subs once more and the RCAs running from his Pioneer 5100UB to his Powerbass Monoblock began to burn and smoke. We shut the car off.

We figured it was a fried headunit so we replaced it with a newer Alpine in hopes of it being a Pioneer specific problem.

We wire up the Alpine. Test it out. Plug in RCAs, and the RCAs began to heat up at the back of the headunit.

WTF did we do? Problem is scaring the shyte out of both of us.

Any Ideas?

Well, you had engine noise. You grounded the RCA's and started burning them up. I personally would get a new set of RCA's and just run them to the amp and see if it solves your problems. Almost like you have a short somewhhere. Don't even install them all the way, just hook up both ends and see if it gets hot...

Thats what I would do. Since thats what you were messin with thats what I'd change...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.