Wire burning

devonte.williams

CarAudio.com Newbie
My power wire that’s connected to my fuse keeps burning up its happened twice what could be the cause of it?
8DE555B8-A189-4922-8B4A-ADB6FD4D688F.jpeg

My power wire that’s connected to my fuse keeps burning up its happened twice what could be the cause of it?View attachment 50201
Loose and poor connection. I do not see the fuse holder secured, as road vibrations and hitting Potholes create movement and stress on the wiring connection. One of the reasons to Fail. Use terminal Rings and an ANL Fuse for a more secure connection and screw the fuse holder down to keep it from moving.

Yeah, main reason for this is a poor connection. Wires may not have been tight enough, bad crimp if ring terminals used, etc, but bad connection causes this overheating / melting.

Bolt style ANL fuse holders / fuses are best, with some properly crimped ring terminals, and everything bolted together rather tightly. One of my cars is using fuse holders like the one Audiobaun linked to and have never had an issue, been in there almost 10 years (they weren't GP brand, but look identical).

It’s 4 gauge wire , running from a 1200 - RP -1D star amp . I have 3 12” subwoofers hooked up I don’t know the size of the fuse. But I just purchased an ANL 300 A fuse and holder to replace it with. View attachment 50203View attachment 50204
I would do 1/0 from batt to first lug connection with a 150 ANL fuse and run /cut back the damaged 4ga supply wire and place the 4ga ring on the second lug under the hood and 4 ga all the way back to another ANL Fuse holder & use 4ga of the run and use a 100 ANL fuse for that amp supply line as specs call for.

You need (3) 4ga lugs and one more ANL fuse holder with a 100 for that amplifier(4 are on sale at GP Audio with your choice of fuses for the $19.99 price tag),that will repair it and get it back up and running for a bit. I would save up and get a Oga OFC supply line kit in the future and ground wiring if you decide to run another amp. The Big 3 may help out as well .Thats me

Last edited:
Being that you are running just 1200w my bet is you are running CCA wire and it’s just not holding up. Any parts of CCA wire that are exposed to the elements will fail in time. This kind of wire is pure junk and has no place in car audio for power wire imo. Gonna have to change that run of 4ga to ofc wire.

Edited to add: CCA wire when used with dissimilar metals like copper for lugs or fuse blocks will actually fail even faster. The aluminum never wins that battle and when water gets on it, it will eventually powder out or turn into milky white mush

Last edited:
300a fuse is too much for 4awg wire. The point of the fuse is to intentionally be the weak point in the circuit. 300 amp fuse on a 4awg wire, and your 4awg wire becomes the fuse. The fuse on the wire is for the wire, and needs to be capable of more than the load, but less than the capability of the wire.

That right there is caused by resistance at a connection not being tight enough. It didn't happen at any other point in the wire, and it didn't happen at the fuse. It happened where the connections weren't tight enough. THAT or you cut too many strands off that wire when you cut the sheath away.

Am I wrong or does that burned up wire look like CCA?

Last edited:
I just purchased an ANL 300 A fuse
Over-fusing is the absolute last thing you want to be doing. You will very probably never open a 100A fuse and you would probably rarely open an 80A.

Your wire is melting, as everybody else said, because you have a poor/loose connection. CCA cable isn't doing you any favors there either. Oxidation over time does indeed turn that stuff into mush.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...