Building my Tantric SHD 12. 6000rms

pictures dont do this woofer any justice but maybe this will. this is next to an MD 12 which is roughly the same size as an SA 12.

11DBD312-0A15-468E-B7FD-4006D289B8C4-10600-00000517431409B1.jpg

This is a trend that I see going on in the car audio sub world, particularly in the custom sub sector. Is it really worth it to endlessly increase power handling and throw efficiency out the door? I mean I expect your one sub and 6000 watts of power to be able to make over 156dBs or otherwise it is just another Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro, aka hugely impressive but so inefficient that it didn't get all that loud with the power given.

I am also going to remain skeptical about that 6000 watts RMS figure. Hook that bish up to your 240v dryer outlet and I'll become a believer if the sub can take 5 minutes of that 60Hz goodness and the coil still reads the correct impedance. I mean you said you want to try and break it right?

the shd series woofer is rated at 5k rms but anyone knows 300 watts of clipped power can tear anything up....ive never had issues with any of my woofers in the past ( soundstream xxx,,t3 audio tsns ) have any issues holding the same power im rating this one at.http://cdn1.caraudio.com/images/icons/icon12.png

did you really just compare this beast to a zcon?
lolol. Just because this thing is "Beast" doesn't mean anything. You could use 30-40% inferior grade ferrite and then make it 30-40% larger and you would end up with people on forums like this "OmGAWD DOOD DATS SO BEAST!". It would be lucky to see 6k before power compression...

Last edited by a moderator:
lolol. Just because this thing is "Beast" doesn't mean anything. You could use 30-40% inferior grade ferrite and then make it 30-40% larger and you would end up with people on forums like this "OmGAWD DOOD DATS SO BEAST!". It would be lucky to see 6k before power compression...
just a little insite for you tantric uses nothing inferior to anyone...we use nothing less than y35 and 10-08 steel. anyone who knows me or anything about tantric knows we don't use anything but the best we can get. please do research before making uneducated responses.......thank you

just a little insite for you tantric uses nothing inferior to anyone...we use nothing less than y35 and 10-08 steel. anyone who knows me or anything about tantric knows we don't use anything but the best we can get. please do research before making uneducated responses.......thank you
Never said this was the case, I said it CAN happen. An old manufacture did the same thing a few years back. My statement was towards the normal forum boners people have about size of the motors vs the overall performance of the subwoofer.

im curious too cause i have never seen a sub take a true 6k rms. meaning by rms is clamped power forever it will handle within it freq range...its just a big out there # is all. sure subs will handle a 6k amp but it wont handle actual 6krms...
I've been trying to say similar for a while now and have given up. It is not difficult to make a sub that will handle that kind of power mechanically without breaking, but I doubt there's a coil out there that will do close to that without thermal failure.

Whatever, writing a huge number on amps and woofers has been making people feel good for a long time I doubt anyone wants to hear different.

Never said this was the case, I said it CAN happen. An old manufacture did the same thing a few years back. My statement was towards the normal forum boners people have about size of the motors vs the overall performance of the subwoofer.
I understand and its no worse than companies claiming they are 100% American made when theyre not..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.