Building my first aftermarket stereo system

reverse01134

Hello,

This is first time for me to build an aftermarket stereo system. For the last couple days, I've done some research starting from scratches and finally came up with following setup:

HU: Pioneer Appradio 4

10" Sub: JL Audio 10W0v3-4 (300w rms)

Front 5.25" Component: JBL GTO 509C (75w rms)

Rear 5.25" Coaxial: Kicker Coaxial 40CS5 (75w rms)

5 CH Amp: Pioneer GM-D9605

4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 350 watts x 1 chan.

2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 600 watts x 1 chan.

Speaker watt power and amp power per channel match but the sub will get a bit overpowered.

Do you see any issues from this setup?

Hello,
This is first time for me to build an aftermarket stereo system. For the last couple days, I've done some research starting from scratches and finally came up with following setup:

HU: Pioneer Appradio 4

10" Sub: JL Audio 10W0v3-4 (300w rms)

Front 5.25" Component: JBL GTO 509C (75w rms)

Rear 5.25" Coaxial: Kicker Coaxial 40CS5 (75w rms)

5 CH Amp: Pioneer GM-D9605

4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 350 watts x 1 chan.

2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 600 watts x 1 chan.

Speaker watt power and amp power per channel match but the sub will get a bit overpowered.

Do you see any issues from this setup?
It should be a nice solid setup ...

Thanks for the quick replies!

Is there benefit of doing that?
rear speakers are mainly for fill...actually dual cone full range speakers are best ...even factory and put more money towards front components that can handle your amp bridged...that way your rear speakers will only be a presence

rear speakers are mainly for fill...actually dual cone full range speakers are best ...even factory and put more money towards front components that can handle your amp bridged...that way your rear speakers will only be a presence
What would be your suggestion for front speaker setup? I want to stick with 5 1/4 factory speaker size for plug-n-play without any modification on the car. Please correct me if I'm wrong but considering the size, I didn't imagine that much difference from higher power - let's say 100watt so I decided to find a decent one with 75 watt in $100-200 budget.

I see some comments suggesting to ditch the rears... doesn't it ruin the stereo image without rears? Noob question :p
rears ruin sound stage. There's a reason why all the sound quality championship cars dont use rears. Do you go to a concert and turn your back to the band or do you face the band?

What would be your suggestion for front speaker setup? I want to stick with 5 1/4 factory speaker size for plug-n-play without any modification on the car. Please correct me if I'm wrong but considering the size, I didn't imagine that much difference from higher power - let's say 100watt so I decided to find a decent one with 75 watt in $100-200 budget.
Since your going mostly pioneer the Pioneer TS D1320c would be an excellent choice for a budget quality 5 1/4 set

Well I have to agree with ditching the rears. I was always a fan of rear fill until recently. I did upgrade to a higher quality coponents in the front and I didnt want to dumb them down if you will. If you do go with a rear fill definitely take the advice from above and run off the HU and bridge your amp for the front stage. I have never been a fan of 5.25 and would go with a 6.5 set of coponents. Again all good advice from the posts above that I have taken and never looked back. Some of the nembers here are really knowledgeable.

Thanks for advice from all of you,

So I guess filling rear is just one's preference or for rear passengers? If that is the case, I wouldn't insist having rears.

The main goal of replacing the system is to have up-to-date technology - Blutooth/Phone connectivity. I first wanted to simply replace the HU but it turns out the fantastic factory premium audio system called "DSP" on my 2000 BMW M5 does not cooperated with aftermarket HU at all. I looked for every possible way to keep the factory speakers but I concluded it is not possible. Well what the hack I am upgrading the entire system.

Another question: what would be the appropriate level of labor charge for installation - considering it's BMW. I contacted a couple shops around me and they all charge double for BMW due to complexity of the existing factory system. The lowest was $450 labor only. Google review was good and they seemed they know what they are doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.