Building my first aftermarket stereo system

Thanks for advice from all of you,
So I guess filling rear is just one's preference or for rear passengers? If that is the case, I wouldn't insist having rears.

The main goal of replacing the system is to have up-to-date technology - Blutooth/Phone connectivity. I first wanted to simply replace the HU but it turns out the fantastic factory premium audio system called "DSP" on my 2000 BMW M5 does not cooperated with aftermarket HU at all. I looked for every possible way to keep the factory speakers but I concluded it is not possible. Well what the hack I am upgrading the entire system.

Another question: what would be the appropriate level of labor charge for installation - considering it's BMW. I contacted a couple shops around me and they all charge double for BMW due to complexity of the existing factory system. The lowest was $450 labor only. Google review was good and they seemed they know what they are doing.
they just bullshitting you because you drive a bmw. thats overpriced. all that, labor would be 240 on the high side and 140 on the low side.

they just bullshitting you because you drive a bmw. thats overpriced. all that, labor would be 240 on the high side and 140 on the low side.
It is a 16 year old car... why do they think I'm rich lol The only reason I own this beast is purely my passion for e39 M5.

Yea I honestly don't understand why it is so expensive, I mean the speaker sizes are same as factory one's so it should be simple plug-n-play and I am buying a sub enclosure customized for this specific vehicle so it is just a simple installation. But I still want expert to install because I know nothing about electrical system... I will keep looking for a decent shop with reasonable labor charge.

There are a few amplified DSPs that you can run off the stock radio and end up sounding comp level with factory speakers in the right hands.
Wait, are you saying there is a DSP amp that perfectly works with the factory speakers AND works with aftermarket HUs?

Wait, are you saying there is a DSP amp that perfectly works with the factory speakers AND works with aftermarket HUs?
Any DSP will. You just pull the high levels before they reach the factory amp for a stock HU or RCAs for aftermarket.

It's a speaker, it will work with any amp.

A few have built in amps.

It is a 16 year old car... why do they think I'm rich lol The only reason I own this beast is purely my passion for e39 M5.
Yea I honestly don't understand why it is so expensive, I mean the speaker sizes are same as factory one's so it should be simple plug-n-play and I am buying a sub enclosure customized for this specific vehicle so it is just a simple installation. But I still want expert to install because I know nothing about electrical system... I will keep looking for a decent shop with reasonable labor charge.
its as simple as plugging positive to positive, negative to negative done. car audio installs in a nutshell.

$240 on the high side? Your shop would go out of business quick.

HU: Pioneer Appradio 4 - $100

10" Sub: - $20

Front Component: - $100

Rear Coax: $65

Amp: $120

Labor Total: $405

Now add in:

4 Gauge Amp Kit - $80

2 sets of RCAs - $30

9 wire - $30

Sub box - $80

Kit - $20

Harness - $20

Antenna - $20

SWC interface - $60

Parts - $340

Total: $745 + Tax.

That would be an average price regardless of vehicle. Cheap shops will be a little less and high end shops a little more. I would say your lowest labor quote is in the ballpark. As a side job I would still charge at least $200 to do it and because it is a BMW and I know headaches come with them, I probably wouldn't do it for less than $250.

$240 on the high side? Your shop would go out of business quick.
HU: Pioneer Appradio 4 - $100

10" Sub: - $20

Front Component: - $100

Rear Coax: $65

Amp: $120

Labor Total: $405

Now add in:

4 Gauge Amp Kit - $80

2 sets of RCAs - $30

9 wire - $30

Sub box - $80

Kit - $20

Harness - $20

Antenna - $20

SWC interface - $60

Parts - $340

Total: $745 + Tax.

That would be an average price regardless of vehicle. Cheap shops will be a little less and high end shops a little more. I would say your lowest labor quote is in the ballpark. As a side job I would still charge at least $200 to do it.
labor in california is a bit different then over there then I guess. Too much competition over here having a race to zero. usually the 140 is the hack shops but 240 usually gets a decent install in. However they mark up all the products to hell.

Thanks again for inputs from all of you.

Any DSP will. You just pull the high levels before they reach the factory amp for a stock HU or RCAs for aftermarket. It's a speaker, it will work with any amp.

A few have built in amps.
I am a little confused because what you are telling me is very different from what people on M5Board and Bimmerforum say. Is DSP a general term that stands for a type of sound system or is it a BMW specific term? I always thought DSP was the name of BMW Premium Sound option for e37/e39/e46/e53 generations. Mine has 10 ch - 3 way on front, 2 way coaxial on rear and 2 subs. Are you saying I can hook up the aftermarket HU with aftermarket 10 Amp while keeping the factory DSP speakers?

DSP is a term used for digital signal processor not a bmw specific sound system. It just modifys and tunes your sound to make everything sound good. Read up on what digital signal processors are.

labor in california is a bit different then over there then I guess. Too much competition over here having a race to zero. usually the 140 is the hack shops but 240 usually gets a decent install in. However they mark up all the products to hell.
Glad I am not in business over there lol. Lower labor and higher cost of living.. ouch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.